How does this sound as an acoustic guitar track?

randyfromde

I've just started homerecording, here's my equipment:

Behringer mx602a mixer
2 Oktava MK-012 condensor mics
Martin D-16RGT acoustic.

I've been having trouble getting a decent recording without the boominess of the actual guitar. This clip was recorded using one mic over the shoulder and one pointed at the 9th fret about 8-10 inches in front of the guitar.

How does this sound to everyone as a mix. I used some light compression, as well as some preset filters in Cool Edit Pro.

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

(3.9MB) Be sure to right-click and choose 'save-as'

There are only 3 parts to the song...the main change occurs around 1:20 or so if you don't want to listen to the whole thing (it's only the rhythm guitar part)

Nice Tone....sounds like you had a hot signal though...
did both mics record on the same track, or do you have a multiple channel soundcard?

yeah...nice tone...just hot....and you used a LOT of compression...

Cool man,
Joe

I have an audiophile 24/96 soundcard, so I recorded each mic to it's own track.

So you think I should turn the gain down on the mics and use less compression?

Does it sound good with each mic panned to each ide, or should I just have them both center/mixed together?

Randy,........

It is a mix.........yes it is.........the balance is fine..but,...
it's just one guitar...
more of a start for something else to come in and join it...
like a vocal or bass...or piano track....somethin'...ya know?

very cool tone though man...nice guit...play it in good health.
Joe

Oh, sorry...am I only supposed to post complete "mixes" here? I just wanted to get some feedback on the recording before I go any further. If there is a more appropriate forum, I'd be glad to move it there.

no man.....I am sorry if you took what I said that way......

all mix posts are welcome here...even my lame ones ....:D

it's just hard to judge a mix of one instrument.....like I said though....it has nice tone....

Joe

nice sound...

...but maybe there's just a TAD to much info around 170-180Hz? And maybe add just a LITTLE more top (NOT much)

otherwise i think you've gotten a great tone on that guitar. I guess you can't go wrong with a great guitar :)

keep it up

Thanks a lot guys for all your help! I went back to the original source recording and did the following:

2:1 compression, threshold at a level that just barely kicked in at the peaks.

Gentle hi boost filter in CEP2 to boost the highs a touch.

'dipped' (for lack of a better words) the frequencies around where vegar suggested.

The results are much much better. Very natural sounding. Unfortunatly, also lets my mis-chording shine through too much! But at least I am better off than before.

Thanks again!

Full, round, enough of the 'plectra' sound to give us a good strong feeling of 'strumming', without beating us to death with the 'plectra' sound.

Good mids that are not overbearing. You might put in a smidgeon more bottom end.

I'm hearing a little 'whanging' in the upper mids, but it's nice and would definitely color and fall back in any mix with other instruments.

The top notes, are a little shy, they could come up a touch and think 'notch filter' ... use an EQ notch filter to keep that 'whanging' in the upper mids down, while brightening the top and that's a difficult and advanced technique I've been working on with software EQ.

Overall, I'd kill to jam on violin, viola, cello on some long thick ringing acoustic chords like this ... and I think ... I'll do just that for an hour or so ...

Thanks for the bed to lay out on ... I'm jamming now ...

What guitar are you using? It sounds nice.

I could never get a decent tone out of my acoustic, piece of crap Fender Acoustics...

Studioviols, could you be more specific to what you mean by 'whanging'? Are you talking about annoying overtones in the track?

Whyte Ice-

I am using a Martin D-16 RGT and Oktava MK-012 to record. So I think I am blessed with having such a good sound coming out the the guitar, I just have to sit back and let it record itself! Just need to make sure I don't mess with it too much afterwards....

whanging isn't real specific is it :D

It's barely noticeable, and it is an 'overall quality' type of sonic somethin, and I think it's just part of that 'neck' sound.

I don't think I'm really used to hearing a really good micing of the neck of a nice acoustic guitar, so I guess it could be the persistence of the overtone's as presented in a neck micing, which again I'm unfamiliar with.

And as I'm listening again here, very closely, it is what is happening 'after', and well after the strum, so I guess it's overtone buildup, and it's a nice 'whanging' ... :)

Thanks for that clarification! I just wanted to make sure 'whanging' wasn't a highly technical term I wasn't familiar with ;-)

The tone of the guitar sounds perfectly fine to me as it sits right now but, the bottom end might get in the way of a bass guitar part, should you decide to add one.

Or, on other keyboard parts with energy in the 150- 250 hz range, it might start to get muddy.

Let's hear some other parts to this project!

Welcome aboard!

Cheers! :)

Back