How does this mic sound to you? (Apex 435 sound check)

spliffed

So this is an apex 435, its the only condenser mic iv owned so i have nothing to compare it to iv had it for about a year it was 80 bucks cdn ..cheap but better than the 20 dollar dynamic i was using lol ..so im curious to hear what people with microphone experience think of it ..and how it sounds on actual monitors ..im using a pare of bose bookshelf speakers ...not ideal ...but to me i think it sounds kinda honky the low end isnt very defined and the highs sound kind of britle and strange ..anyway if u guys could let me know what you think it would be great.. (excuse my singing lol)

vocal 1 dry

vocal 1 wet

vocal 2 dry

vocal 2 wet

It's a good starter.
A little too much high end, not enough low. Could use a presence boost of some sort.
This mic should serve you well for a while but if you choose to use it on every instrument and vocal, you may find the brightness to be a bit overpowering even after you compensate with EQ.
Nice vocals, by the way.

John Anthony Mother Fucking Frusciante!!!!!!! Respect man! Unfortunately I can't play this at high volumes. But it sounds pretty good.

I highly recommend you get some good monitors.

Umm... Basic question. (unless this is 'solo voc project... What.. how are you supposed to judged it with out the mix around it?
Yeah it's maybe a bit mid range, but part of that might be some small room bounce in there? (on the dry ones..

Umm... Basic question. (unless this is 'solo voc project... What.. how are you supposed to judged it with out the mix around it?
Yeah it's maybe a bit mid range, but part of that might be some small room bounce in there? (on the dry ones..

This was a bit of what I was going to say. It might sound great with in a mix, maybe not. The prof will be in the pudding.

Last edited:
thanks for the replys guys..i would of posted it in the mp3 clinic if i i was concernd about the way it sat in a mix im just asking peoples opinion of the dry unprocessed sound of this mic and how it might compare to other mics in the 80 dollar price range your right though i thought it has sort of a mid range honk when i try to eq it out the highs end out sounding kinda harsh and staticy ..my room is not treated eather so im sure im getting alot of unwanted reflections..thanks again guys

k here it is in context i suppose lol just some simple electric guitar behind it

on vocals:
- de-esser
- eq
- la2a compressor plugin
- "warm room" convolution reverb

guitar:
- cheap ass fender strat
- guitar rig 4
- same reverb as above slightly different settings

Do i need a new mic guys?

It sounds just like an 80$ mic would. You don't really need a new mic for now. I would turn down the guitar a little. Nice cover btw! I'm a huge Frusciante if you haven't realized from my last post haha

Back