How does this computer look?

solo.guitar

I'm going to build a computer from scratch for recording. I will only be recording up to 4 tracks at the same time. I won't be running any effects until after the tracks are recorded. I'll be using Adobe Audition 1.5, and I may switch to Cubase SX3 because I've heard a lot of good things about it.

I'll also be doing some MIDI. And I'll probably get the ToonTrack's DrumKit From Hell for drums.

Here's the specs:

Motherboard ($140):
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

Case ($45):
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower

CPU ($160):
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor ($160)

RAM (x2) ($100):
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory

Hard drive (x2) ($70):
Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YD 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Video card ($60):
ASUS EN7300LE/HTD/128M Geforce 7300LE 128MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Soundcard:
???

I haven't decided on a soundcard yet. I've looked over the EMU 1212M, M-Audio Delta 1010LT, M-Audio 2496, and the UAD-1. The UAD-1 is a bit out of my price range and that's money I could spend on room treatment, etc.

I just need one that has 4 inputs so I can record 4 tracks simultaneously, as well as MIDI I/O, and maybe a Digital I/O or 2 so I can get a dedicated A/D converter in the future.

Nothing bad IMO. I would most like scale down the mobo unless you plan to put two SLI cards in a some point real real soon. If you planning for a six months or a year, don't get it. I would also make the mobo a socket AM2 instead of a 939 as the socket AM2 is later generation and supports the CPU you're considering.

For example, the Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe supports the processor you've chosen, is only ten or more bucks, and gives you the same functionality as the A8N-SLI Premium. And it supports DDR2 memory!

The pundits are pretty united that Intel dual core are a better bang for the buck than the AMD dual core, but it is your choice.

Nothing wrong with the RAM given your mobo choice. Your HDD are fine. Your video is fine... a little bit low on the totem pole, but fine. For a little bit more you might find yourself able to squeeze into a nVidia 6600 which is a cookin' card and now down around $100.

I sympathize with the A/D/A conversersion. Although I have no personal experience with them Alesis has just come out with their IO series of external USB/FireWire (depending on amount of I/O). For example, depending on your needs, the Alesis IO|14 gives you four preamps with phantom power for about $300.

The following is from Sweetwater...

• Four analog mic/ line inputs on combo connectors with phantom power and insert jacks
  • Ability to patch signal processing equipment directly into the signal path of each channel via channel inserts
  • ADAT optical input capability, with support for as many as eight channels of ADAT digital audio
  • 16-channel MIDI interface
  • Eight ADAT channels at 44.1 and 48 kHz; four ADAT channels at 88.2 and 96 kHz
  • 2-channel, 24-bit S/PDIF connector (RCA) for integrating CD-R, DVD-R, and similar equipment

I have some experience with the 1010LT and had no issues... of course, I just used dynamic mics, the 1010LT, unlike the Alesis, will not support condensors as-is out of the box.

Actually, all of the soundcards you spec'd are fairly long in the tooth. I would most definitely stay away from the 2496. Not because it's no good, but because it is too small.

Last I checked the UAD-1 was an effects processor, not a soundcard.

Luck.

Thanks for the advice.

I thought the UAD-1 was a soundcard with onboard effects, oops. :o

I'd rather not go the firewire route, and would rather stick to a PCI interface with a breakout box or something similiar.

I was thinking of the Emu 1820M:
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--EMU1820M

This would be more than enough for what I need, and would give me more options for the future.

I will probably pick out a different motherboard, that supports DDR2 RAM also. The video card I'm not so worried about as I won't be playing any games or anything, but I may consider going a step up with that too.

I'm not real familiar with the different AMD socket types. Last time I built a computer (around 1995 or something), it was socket 754 mainly. :o

I'll probably go with the AM2 as you suggested since that seems like the most current socket type AMD has.

I also heard the Intel's dual cores are better but I've always stuck to AMD so I'll just get an AMD processor.

Anyone have any experience with the EMU 1820M interface?

Edit: I just read that the EMU 1820M is going to be discontinued. :( :mad:

That sucks! I spent a long ass time searching through interfaces and finally decided on that one, now I gotta start searching again. :mad:

solo.guitar said:
Edit: I just read that the EMU 1820M is going to be discontinued. :( :mad:

That sucks! I spent a long ass time searching through interfaces and finally decided on that one, now I gotta start searching again. :mad:

Incorrect. That means you can buy one for about $300 when the new stuff comes in.

As far as recording is concerned, I wouldn't worry about the video card. I'd opt for the AMD over an Intel because of AMD's modularized memory controller (unless Intel has gone that route with these new chips). I'd definitely add another gig or two of RAM though. I have Drumkit from Hell 2 and it uses about 2 GB RAM when using kits with full samples. Not sure how bad the original version is, but I'd make RAM my number one priority for sure. You don't want to be swapping from disk cache while recording or playing back. It'll kill your CPU and hard drive performance. :(

ermghoti said:
Incorrect. That means you can buy one for about $300 when the new stuff comes in.

Yeah but I'd have to buy one used. I don't like buying used stuff, I'd rather pay the extra $100 or more for something brand new. I know it's stupid but that's the way I am.

Easlern - Yea I'll definately be buying more RAM. I may even switch out the MB with another one that supports the AM2 chip, and up to 8GB of RAM. I'll probably end up putting about 4 GB in there, probably add some each paycheck. I doubt I'll need more than that but it's nice to know the motherboard will support more if I do.

earthboundrec said:
Is it true that Windows XP only supports up to 3GB of RAM? Is Vista going to support up to 8 or more?

XP supports 4 GB of memory max, which is a shame but I doubt anyone would need anymore than that in the near future. I plan on getting Vista when it comes out though as long as all my software will run on it.

Aparently the server editions of XP support up to 32 and 64 GB of RAM. :eek:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

Yea...that's cool...

Just make sure you're not running Solitaire at the same time you're running Microsoft Bob's fisher-price recorder

You may also want to record at a sample rate of about....2... :(

I could definately see the need for up to 64 GB's of RAM. More and more complex virtual instruments and sample banks are going to require much more than the common 1 or 2 GB's of today. The future of computing is going to be multicore (in the hundreds within a decades time probably) and more and more RAM. What ever happened to quantum computers!? Those were all the talk five or six years back.. maybe I just haven't been paying attention these days!

I know it's hard to move away from what you're familiar with, but if you're after performance a Core 2 setup will severely spank that amd rig for not much more $$.

Check out the socket 775 Asus P5B motherboards with the new 965 chipset, DDR2 etc. These start at $146. A Core 2 6400 with 2MB cache will set you back around $230. Now you're smokin

Your gonna want to make sure your system bus is 800Mhz. This will pick up for the little less speedy AMD core and less processor cache ( most Intel dual cores have 2MBytes x 2 [ one for each head ] ). However, there system buses run at 533Mhz. Personally, I don't believe the AMD - even with an 800Mhz system bus - can keep up with Intel architecture. The 533Mhz buss is negligible compared to the dual core arch, and 2M x2 cache. However, there is nothing wrong with the AMD architecture if cost outweighs a little more performance.

Summary:
If you are going with the AMD, make sure your system bus is 800Mhz. Your performance should be fine and you'll pay less than the Intel setup.

solo.guitar said:
I'm going to build a computer from scratch for recording. I will only be recording up to 4 tracks at the same time. I won't be running any effects until after the tracks are recorded. I'll be using Adobe Audition 1.5, and I may switch to Cubase SX3 because I've heard a lot of good things about it.

I'll also be doing some MIDI. And I'll probably get the ToonTrack's DrumKit From Hell for drums.

Here's the specs:

Motherboard ($140):
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

Case ($45):
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower

CPU ($160):
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor ($160)

RAM (x2) ($100):
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory

Hard drive (x2) ($70):
Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YD 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Video card ($60):
ASUS EN7300LE/HTD/128M Geforce 7300LE 128MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Soundcard:
???

I haven't decided on a soundcard yet. I've looked over the EMU 1212M, M-Audio Delta 1010LT, M-Audio 2496, and the UAD-1. The UAD-1 is a bit out of my price range and that's money I could spend on room treatment, etc.

I just need one that has 4 inputs so I can record 4 tracks simultaneously, as well as MIDI I/O, and maybe a Digital I/O or 2 so I can get a dedicated A/D converter in the future.

You would be paying way too much for that computer. How about I build it for you for that price :D

but yeah, go with a core 2 duo processor, you can get one that beats out ALL AMD processors for like $350 dollars. Anyways, even a regular core 2, you can get more performance for the $$.

The AMD processors as of now, can compete with much of the Intel versions, EXCEPT the core 2 duo's which murder them in every aspect.

Demirateser........ My Pentium D 930 does not run at a 533mhz system bus. It runs at 800mhz, with the 2mb per core. AMD processors run at 1600HT to 2000HT bus. AND AMD's performance lately has caused Intel to loose mass market share & become Financially unstable.

for like $350 dollars

Core 2 Duo's start at 180$

AMD processors run at 1600HT to 2000HT bus

thats only for hyper transport which is limited to the memory controller. Its also worth noting that almost no AMD chips support DDR2 at this time (opteron excluded)

Intel to loose mass market share & become Financially unstable.

Financially unstable? thats a bit of a stretch. Intel has 80% of the processor market and does $10B in revenue quarterly

Can someone recommend a good Core DUO for about the same price? All this new technology with computers confuses me, it's not as simple as it used to be.

Hey Solo...

If you let these guys do it they will drive you nuts with 'advice'.

If you have in fact been swayed to pursue the Intel 'Core Duo' with a mobo that duplicates your initial requirements (e.g., 2x PCI-E (X16)) then here are your choices using the Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86G (1066Mhz)...

MSI 975X PLATINUM INTEL 975X CHIPSET SERIAL ATA300 ATX FORM FACTOR 2xPCI-E(X16)/2xPCI-E(X1)/2xPCI/4xDDR2 W/SATA2 RAID,LAN(Gb),1394,USB 2.0 & AUDIO (CPU TYPE:INTEL - SOCKET 775)
CORE 2 DUO E6300 1.86G (1066Mhz)
$356.18

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6 INTEL 965 CHIPSET SERIAL ATA300 ATX FORM FACTOR 2xPCI-E(X16)/3xPCI-E(X1)/2xPCI/4xDDR2 W/SATA RAID,LAN(Gb),1394,USB 2.0 & AUDIO (CPU TYPE:INTEL - SOCKET 775)
$392.33

ASUS P5B DELUXE/WiFi-AP INTEL 965 CHIPSET SERIAL ATA300 ATX FORM FACTOR 2xPCI-E(X16)/1xPCI-E(X1)/3xPCI/4xDDR2 W/SATA2 RAID,DUAL LAN(Gb),1394A,USB 2.0 & AUDIO (CPU TYPE:INTEL - SOCKET 775)
$411.08

Now, if you are willing to forgo the 2x PCI(X16) slots for a mobo that only has 1x PCI(X16) (i.e., a mobo that will support only one video card) then you have these to consider...

ASUS P5L-VM 1394 INTEL 945G CHIPSET SERIAL ATA300 MICRO ATX FORM FACTOR 1xPCI-E(X16)/1xPCI-E(X1)/2xPCI/4xDDR2 W/INTEGRATED VGA,SATA2,LAN(Gb),1394A,USB 2.0 & AUDIO (CPU TYPE:INTEL - SOCKET 775)
$278.27

ASUS P5B-VM INTEL G965 CHIPSET SERIAL ATA300 MICRO ATX FORM FACTOR 1xPCI-E(X16)/1xPCI-E(X1)/2xPCI/4xDDR2 W/INTEGRATED VGA,SATA2 RAID,LAN(Gb),1394A,USB 2.0 & AUDIO (CPU TYPE:INTEL - SOCKET 775)
$313.78

Now, note that these two boards were chosen because they have integrated FireWire (1394). Forgive me, there were other mobos but I am not showing them because they would require a 1394 add on card. My own personal prejudice... add on 1394 cards have given me no end of grief. Also, both of these boards are MicroATX and have integrated video which is, trust me, very very nice.

Hope this helps.

Back