how does one promote myspace to get massive hits

I'd also recommend having an alternate website with real contact information. Not everyone wants to try to sift through your myspace to find your phone number.

(How much of that is actually good advice and how much is my own personal dislike of Myspace is up for debate. :D)

I'd also recommend having an alternate website with real contact information. Not everyone wants to try to sift through your myspace to find your phone number.

(How much of that is actually good advice and how much is my own personal dislike of Myspace is up for debate. :D)

Yep
and setting up your own site is getting cheaper and easier than ever. Plus you don't bombard your listeners with Ads etc, you control the quality of the music streamed etc etc

My two cents...

1. Content is king. If your music (content) sucks, who cares about hits? And on the inverse...if your music is awesome...who cares about hits? If your content is good, it will work. If you build it, they will come.

2. Have a primary website, and link it to myspace, and link myspace to it. I am on myspace ONLY because of the band exposure, and networking, but when people ask about the band...I give 'em my website...silentjband.com. MySpace users get myspace, non users don't, and they can get turned off by the IN YOUR FACE aspects of myspace.

Two steps.

1) Get at least 3 songs recorded and ready to upload. Upload them and make your page look neat and pretty.

2) Whore. Add as many fucking people from your friends friends, and their friends, and their friends, and their friends. Concentrate on people who you think would like your music. Spend no lie, 2-3 hours doing this as often as you possibly can. That's the secret to getting big through myspace.

Two steps.

1) Get at least 3 songs recorded and ready to upload. Upload them and make your page look neat and pretty.

2) Whore. Add as many fucking people from your friends friends, and their friends, and their friends, and their friends. Concentrate on people who you think would like your music. Spend no lie, 2-3 hours doing this as often as you possibly can. That's the secret to getting big through myspace.

Amen. Trust me, add big bands that you sound like/take inspiration from. Every time I add a big band, I get at least 1 invite from someone who saw that I was friends with them. Sounds very weird, but it works. Add small bands especially, because they will always take a look at your page.

Pint and eternalpayn have some good points, but don't just add people, also comment them, say thanks for accepting, ask how they're doing, etc, anything that will help improve the chances of them actually visiting your page.

Pint and eternalpayn have some good points, but don't just add people, also comment them, say thanks for accepting, ask how they're doing, etc, anything that will help improve the chances of them actually visiting your page.
Very good, but also link to your myspace as much as possible.

I have a myspace for my business (studio, pa hire, record label, etc.) and also have a youtube account. From every video I make, I include a link to the myspace in the description. This has caused it to be one of the top search in google for recording studios in my area.

Look into website optimization. You have to include words that people are likely to search for (bands you are similar to, genre, etc).

you should get someone to make you a custom myspace page layout that usually catches peoples attention if you want to get in contact with someone who does them i know acouple people who do custom pages

My two cents...

1. Content is king. If your music (content) sucks, who cares about hits? And on the inverse...if your music is awesome...who cares about hits? If your content is good, it will work. If you build it, they will come.

2. Have a primary website, and link it to myspace, and link myspace to it. I am on myspace ONLY because of the band exposure, and networking, but when people ask about the band...I give 'em my website...silentjband.com. MySpace users get myspace, non users don't, and they can get turned off by the IN YOUR FACE aspects of myspace.

Content is king, your steller image will factor you to the pro's instead of indies. Fans tend to lean towards names and images.

And also the "myspace ONLY" aspects of it. I hate having to contact people through myspace instead of e-mail or phone.

Every legit band should have myspace. The underground music market relies on myspace so I wouldn't discount it. Make some flyers with your myspace on it, include your home page if their not the same.

People who mind using MySpace to sample a song aren't typically your target audience.

I personally recomend you give out your MySpace URL like candy, at shows, on facebook, to friends... etc

WORD OF MOUTH! feeds the indie community

I personally think Myspace is lame, and got over-saturated 2-3 years ago. I don't think its effective anymore. People may take you more seriously if you actually have your own domain name with your own website (like I'm doing).

it's also best not to lie on your myspace, it just makes you look retarded, not like a bigshot

the quality of your music should prove itself

it's haters like hip-hop network that keep me going f*k hip-hop it's all about rap what kept hip-hop alive and u know it oh yea weres ur proof I did not meet diddy your problem is u think diddy is such an icon or a god he cant be touched but he can get over it nobody likes hip-hop everybodies into pop or that hardcore sh*t like gangster stuff atleast Im not running my mouth like hip hop network with no proff backing his arguement I got proof backing my arguement it's called soundscan and hip-hop network knows he's done

Lmao @ hip hop network... Featuring Point Game. That emcee got ATE up by my artist Vyrous back when.

Back