How does one have access to 12+ inputs when recording?

bzakes2375

Okay, for example, right now I'm recording drums with an 8-channel interface. I'll peruse the internet as one does, and I'll come across semi-pros and such who are able to stick mics everywhere on the kit, two overheads, a stereo room, close mics on 6 toms, two on the snare, etc... I have yet to find any one of them mention how they're getting all of those tracks into their computer. I've seen 12+ channel interfaces (even those only really have 8 XLR inputs), but I only really see these guys with 1-2 channel Focusrites or UA Apollos on their desks. Are they just daisy-chaining interfaces thru ADAT? Not that I have the money to buy any more than 8 mics right now, but how would I go about expanding inputs in a way that wont end up being a dead-end down the road. For example, I could buy the Behringer ADA8200 and connect to my interface thru ADAT, but is that really an okay solution? Sorry if this is all over the place, I have recently consumed large amounts of caffeine.

I track to an HD24 so I have twenty-four inputs there. Interface wise I run a MOTU 828ES. So I'm covered there.

ADA8200 is a good option. I used to use one and, honestly, for most live situations it’s very likely not going to be something that’s going to degrade what you capture, IMO/IME.

The guys with the 'infinite mics' setups might be cheating a bit? They could for instance have 8 mics on a drum kit but be feeding them into a mixer and then only need a stereo pair to record. Of course, you would have to spend some time getting the balance right on the kit but I wonder how many people really multitrack drums then spend days getting a good mix? (ok yes! Floyd, Queen, Zeps but they can afford both the kit and the time!)

I also agree with the general opinion of the 8200, from reviews I have read it is not the last word in dynamic range but should be fine on the loud bits.

Dave.

If you want to spend the chedda their are several digital mixing desks with 32 mic inputs plus aux's, etc. Most are expandable with Cat5/6 connectable rack mount mic pre's. The board itself outputs on a single USB channel to you computer making it an effectively over sized extended interface.

When I had my studio, I had a motu 2408, which had 24 line in and out and another 8 channel motu that worked with the other, for a total of 32 i/o. I coupled that with a soundcraft 32 channel board. And 8 channels of outboard mic pre.

I would normally use 18 mics on my drumset.

If you use a mixer, you can tweak the mix to taste, before recording. Then with it all setup, just record the stereo.
That is my current setup.
I have seen pro drummers with a mixer behind them.

When I had my studio, I had a motu 2408, which had 24 line in and out and another 8 channel motu that worked with the other, for a total of 32 i/o. I coupled that with a soundcraft 32 channel board. And 8 channels of outboard mic pre.

I would normally use 18 mics on my drumset.
I think it's the 2408 that has 8 channels of analog I/O (plus three banks each of TDIF and ADAT). I suspect you have the 24i/o that brings you up to 32 both ways.

I think it's the 2408 that has 8 channels of analog I/O (plus three banks each of TDIF and ADAT). I suspect you have the 24i/o that brings you up to 32 both ways.
You are correct. It's been nearly a decade since I got rid of that system, between it being a long time ago and my brain getting older...

It was a cool system, but was overkill most of the time. I also did a lot of metal bands, so I was always dealing with double kick kits with six Tom's, two snares and a gong drum.

Back