How does it sound

Nakatira

That Norwegian Bastard
this is the latest recording of my band.

So ar the drums bass and guitars are tracked, there's an organ part there as well, wich will be rerecorded but serves a guiding purpose.
The mix so far is pretty basic, I still need to tweak some more.

I personally think it sounds pretty good, I'm still chasing that 70's sound:o
I think the snare is wee bit thin, but other than that its looking good.

any feedback apreciated

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9412027

I liked it. Every part could be heard clearly, and it was an interesting "chord progression" :confused: If it's even considered a chord progression in this case :p. Anyway, I agree with the snare sounding a wee bit thin. It's definitely a nice sound, but it needs a tiny bit more balls. Other than, it all sounded pretty cool.

LOVE the 70's prog sound! The song is very dark and heavy, while still sounding old. It's cool that you could achieve that! I know you plan on retracking the organ but I'd say in the mix turn the organ down. I think the snare had plenty of balls just needs more volume in the mix.

Good music-the tune is cool and sounds like you all can play and get good sounds out of your instruments.

The mix sounds decent-definetely lacking in the "punch" department and it is lacking in high end sparkle. Could just be the site/player. Seems like you should be able to get a little more volume out of your basic mix though. This will sound great when it's finished, all the elements are there. Nice drum recording and playing!

Strato

I liked it. Every part could be heard clearly, and it was an interesting "chord progression" :confused: If it's even considered a chord progression in this case :p. Anyway, I agree with the snare sounding a wee bit thin. It's definitely a nice sound, but it needs a tiny bit more balls. Other than, it all sounded pretty cool.

Thanks man, it looks promising imo, just some tweaking and some more instruments, inc a Violin:cool:

LOVE the 70's prog sound! The song is very dark and heavy, while still sounding old. It's cool that you could achieve that! I know you plan on retracking the organ but I'd say in the mix turn the organ down. I think the snare had plenty of balls just needs more volume in the mix.

Thanks man, I'll defenitly turn the snare up, we'll be recording a proper C3 with a Leslie:cool:
Cant wait to hear how it sounds:)

Good music-the tune is cool and sounds like you all can play and get good sounds out of your instruments.

The mix sounds decent-definetely lacking in the "punch" department and it is lacking in high end sparkle. Could just be the site/player. Seems like you should be able to get a little more volume out of your basic mix though. This will sound great when it's finished, all the elements are there. Nice drum recording and playing!

Strato

The mix is not compressed or pushed at a high level yet, faders were set pretty low, peaking around 10-12 or so.
Some more tweaking and mastering after recording is done will bring out more punches I hope:D

thanks for your comments:)

It's a bit dangerous to plan on fixing mix issues in the mastering stages. I will say that this stuff sounds very geniune except for the forementioned lack of punch. The snare doesn't sound thin to me, it actually has a pretty weighty sound it just isn't cutting like it should. I would say it actually needs a touch more top end.

I thought the guitars and keys sounded OK. Distorted rhythm guitar sounded a bit on the fuzzy side. Bass seems to be sitting about right - it sounded pretty nice too.

I thought the snare was a bit too quiet and was missing some high mids and highs. Sounds quite distant. Drummer hit his sticks together (I believe unintentionally) at :29.

The mix is real quiet. I had to turn things way up.

What is your interface? I am using an M-Audio 2496. I feel like it lacks character (punch) definition. It was only a 100 bucks so I'm not expecting much. But I do hear HomeRecordings that sound "bigger" to me. Not louder just more detail. I think its the A-D conversion. A cheap card will play back a good recording and you can hear the quality, yet recording on it sounds kinda flat, or lifeless.

Nice, you really hammered that 70's sound I wouldn't bring the snare up too much.
Usually when I hear someone try to do this, something always sticks out like a soar thumb. Not the case here.

What is your interface? I am using an M-Audio 2496. I feel like it lacks character (punch) definition. It was only a 100 bucks so I'm not expecting much. But I do hear HomeRecordings that sound "bigger" to me. Not louder just more detail. I think its the A-D conversion. A cheap card will play back a good recording and you can hear the quality, yet recording on it sounds kinda flat, or lifeless.

He's gonna tell you he likes it that way. In reality, you nailed it.

Great mix.
Love the tune.
Love the 70's sound.

Snare needs some more punch for sure, in fact I'd bring the entire kit forward a bit more, except for the kick. I'd actually throttle that back a bit.

Are these acoustic drums? Wow, great sound. I'd love to hear how you mic'ed and recorded them. The kick is so clear.

Yes, it does indeed sound good.

I think you could still go for a slightly bigger, more 3d sound and still be in the 1970's ballpark. The snare could have more crack to it and still be retro. I can hear everything quite clearly and the performances are excellent imo, but the whole mix could be a little livelier maybe?

If you wouldn't have said anything about your snare, I wouldn't have focused on it at all... Blends right in with the sound.

After listening to your stuff, I loaded up some Boston - Long Time to compare, and I've gotta say, your stuff is right up there. Drums sound great. Guitars sound great, and the organ sounds killer.

My only nit (and I wouldn't have had this, had I not compared it with Boston) would be that the recording lacks a bit of spatiality, but that's only if you want to compete with the likes of pros such as Tom Scholz.

*Great* mix.

1st link:
I like the snare as it is because it sounds appriopriate to the era/genre.
Good music !
Bass sounds terrific.
Cool snippet.
Link 2:
What are you using for the 'tron sound? Sounds good anyway - shades of the kCr King. Might need a little tweaking as it sounds very clean though.
Not much guitar in one ear. Nice changes the drums sound good in the quiet section.
Nice strong organ in the climb out that was trunkated.
I look forward to MORE!

It's a bit dangerous to plan on fixing mix issues in the mastering stages. I will say that this stuff sounds very geniune except for the forementioned lack of punch. The snare doesn't sound thin to me, it actually has a pretty weighty sound it just isn't cutting like it should. I would say it actually needs a touch more top end.

This was just a rough mix, all instruments and ect is not yet recorded.
I agree on fixing thing at the mastering stage is a no go, and I have no intentions on doing so.
I agree on it lacking top end, after listening to the mix in my usual setup there is a defenite need for some eq adjustments.
thanks

I thought the guitars and keys sounded OK. Distorted rhythm guitar sounded a bit on the fuzzy side. Bass seems to be sitting about right - it sounded pretty nice too.

.I thought the snare was a bit too quiet and was missing some high mids and highs. Sounds quite distant. Drummer hit his sticks together (I believe unintentionally) at :29.

The mix is real quiet. I had to turn things way up.

thanks, the massive fuzz is intentional, its a fuzzface through a germanium od through a rangemaster then through a Mesa head with a slight overdrive.
The guitars are meant to sound atmospheric not punchy and in your face.

Will work on the snare I actually did cut quite a few highs on it as I tried going for a very dark sound, as I wanted it to be heavy.
But I overdid it:D

I listened to the part at 0:29 wich you mentioned, he actually hits a small tom, somehow it sounded wierd, might be the gating.

The mix is taken straight from my main outs now, "mastering or gaining has been added.

My interface is Firepod, and I've got 3 of em. (not all running at once though):D
This project demanded 2.
The lack of punch is not due to the equipment, it is how I mix, allthough I like some punch I utterly hate the modern rock sound, wich tend to be very punchy and mechanical tight, to my ears. so I like it sounding a bit more mellow:).

Nice, you really hammered that 70's sound I wouldn't bring the snare up too much.
Usually when I hear someone try to do this, something always sticks out like a soar thumb. Not the case here.

Great mix.
Love the tune.
Love the 70's sound.

Snare needs some more punch for sure, in fact I'd bring the entire kit forward a bit more, except for the kick. I'd actually throttle that back a bit.

Are these acoustic drums? Wow, great sound. I'd love to hear how you mic'ed and recorded them. The kick is so clear.

Thanks man.

I agree on the kit, I'm still experimenting with it, trying to use bus compression and so on.
I will be going for a brighter more detailed soundframe, I allways tend to start of very dark:o
As mentioned the snare has got loads of punch I just tried eq shaping it into something a bit more heavy sounding:D

The drums are accoustic, its a Pearl masters kit. (20-10-12-14- 14x5,5 snr)
all the toms have the bottom head of.
Overheads are miced according to the Recorderman method.
the rest of the kit is miced pretty standard.

Yes, it does indeed sound good.

I think you could still go for a slightly bigger, more 3d sound and still be in the 1970's ballpark. The snare could have more crack to it and still be retro. I can hear everything quite clearly and the performances are excellent imo, but the whole mix could be a little livelier maybe?

thanks, no arguments here:)

If you wouldn't have said anything about your snare, I wouldn't have focused on it at all... Blends right in with the sound.

After listening to your stuff, I loaded up some Boston - Long Time to compare, and I've gotta say, your stuff is right up there. Drums sound great. Guitars sound great, and the organ sounds killer.

My only nit (and I wouldn't have had this, had I not compared it with Boston) would be that the recording lacks a bit of spatiality, but that's only if you want to compete with the likes of pros such as Tom Scholz.

*Great* mix.

Thanks man, I agree on the spaciality I allways fuck that up in my first mix.

1st link:
I like the snare as it is because it sounds appriopriate to the era/genre.
Good music !
Bass sounds terrific.
Cool snippet.
Link 2:
What are you using for the 'tron sound? Sounds good anyway - shades of the kCr King. Might need a little tweaking as it sounds very clean though.
Not much guitar in one ear. Nice changes the drums sound good in the quiet section.
Nice strong organ in the climb out that was trunkated.
I look forward to MORE!

Hi Ray.

Thanks, I dig the bass sound to, its a Fender pre with new seymore duncan retro pickups through a UA 610, a bit driven close to distortion.

on link 2: the guitar was the last thing I did, and I just quickly added a quick delay on it, not seing that it panned the guitar, I only noticed that once I posted it.

Regarding the tron, I've changed my source, being an avid user of the M-tron, my keyboardplayer bought the new Nord Electro III and it has some amazing tron samples and voila a new favorite:D
the tron was recorded dry, but I will treat it with some verb and perhaps some gentle eq.

Back