How do you use this control in Cubase

choctaw

Tribal Member
I use Cubase SX3. There is a control at the top of this mixer strip just to the RT of the two zeros under the word stereo (see picture) that I would like to know more about. It seems to be a trim ctrl and can be manipulated with my mouse by using Shift Click or Double Clicking it and typing in a numeric value. I do not use a controler, just a firepod for computer connections. The faders don't do anything to this reading. Take a look at the area at the top and see what this is about. I do not see any instructions in several books I have on cubase about how to set this. Cubase Power, Cubase Reference, and Cubase Mixing & Mastering have nothing I can find on this little button at the top of each mixer strip. I got to be input signel...for it you set it too high wow distortions plus. Any info please

Choctaw

Attachments

• Cubase Mixer.jpg
    Cubase Mixer.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 47
I believe you are referring to the digital gain setting. This happens post A/D conversion, but affects your actual wav file that resides as your original take. Personally, I do not use it. I would much rather wait until mixdown to raise the level a track digitally. If however you are tracking with proper levels, you actually should be able to use several db's without issues should you really want to. If you were using Cubase say as an effects unit in a live audio rig, this knob could be very useful in receiving what may be slightly weaker signals. Using this setting could give a better inout level which could reduce noise form an analog console's aux bus, as well as giving a hotter signal to any reverbs and delays you may be using thereby reducing the amount of noise the FX units output. Basically, it could be used in certain situations to effectively lower your S/N ratio.

xstatic said:
I believe you are referring to the digital gain setting.

Thanks xstatic for your comments concerning the knob I was asking about in the Cubase mixer. I have done lots of things with it just experimenting. And as you brought up.....it is very easy to overload a recording with TOO much signel.

Choctaw

Back