How do you transfer files from the VS880 to Cakewalk?

JohnnyMan

I am losing my mind.
I have tried every setting in the manual and I can't get the VS880 to accept MTC from Cakewalk.

I believe I have all the parameters set correctly, I push play on the VS880 and it waits for MTC. I push record on Cakewalk and the VS880's MIDI/DISK light starts flashing but the time display does not increment. The play light just flashes waiting for something. WHAT??? Please, I would be very grateful for any help getting this to work.

John

I don't think any Cakewalk below Sonar 3 can transmit MTC. Midi clock yes, but not MTC.
As TexRoadkill says, it should work the other way around.

What version Cakewalk do you have and are you using an s/pdif soundcard?

Sorry to jump in on the question, but I am also having a similar problem. I have Cakewalk Home Studio 9. Also a roland 840. My question is...How do I set my computer, or cakewalk to SLAVE.

Jim Y said:
I don't think any Cakewalk below Sonar 3 can transmit MTC. Midi clock yes, but not MTC.
As TexRoadkill says, it should work the other way around.

What version Cakewalk do you have and are you using an s/pdif soundcard?

Thanks for the reply Jim. I am using s/pdif as the digital transfer pipe. And I am using midi as the sync clock but when I start Cakewalk the midi light flashes on the VS880 but does not start the song.

I have tried it both ways slave/master master/slave but to no avail.

I was using Cakewalk 9.0. I just upgraded to Sonar but haven't tried it yet with the VS880.

John

Well ok, I have Sonar and I can sync it a VS no problem.
VS set to transmit MTC at 30fps. You probably should also have a transport MMC option to set as master.
Sonar Project options/clock - smpte/MTC 30fps
Audio Options/ Advanced / Synchronization - Trigger and Freewheel.
This is why I asked about s/pdif, assuming you have to set your soundcard to use the external audio clock in order to use the s/pdif input, Trigger and Freewheel means Sonar doesn't have to try to hard-sync to the MTC code because the incoming s/pdif from the VS acts as a sync signal by itself. The VS MTC only needs to position the Sonar transport.
A finishing touch is...
Sonar/ Transport/ Loop and Auto Shuttle
Check "Stop at end time" and "loop continuously". If I remember rightly, this stops you having to manually restart Sonars sync between each pass. Sonar should follow the VS transport buttons like a good puppy.
I have no idea why so many related settings are in different places.

My VS is a humble 840EX, and we've found that we don't have to record tracks across to pc, but can use a program for the Boss BR8 to directly turn VS tracks to .wav.
I don't think that will work with the 880, but if you've used the uncompressed recording mode and have a scsi drive to move songs to pc, the "take" files can easily be turned into .wav if you have a good wave editor and can "open as" Motorola 16bit 44.1Khz and then "save as" Microsoft pcm .wav.

Jim Y said:
Well ok, I have Sonar and I can sync it a VS no problem.
VS set to transmit MTC at 30fps. You probably should also have a transport MMC option to set as master.
Sonar Project options/clock - smpte/MTC 30fps
Audio Options/ Advanced / Synchronization - Trigger and Freewheel.
This is why I asked about s/pdif, assuming you have to set your soundcard to use the external audio clock in order to use the s/pdif input, Trigger and Freewheel means Sonar doesn't have to try to hard-sync to the MTC code because the incoming s/pdif from the VS acts as a sync signal by itself. The VS MTC only needs to position the Sonar transport.
A finishing touch is...
Sonar/ Transport/ Loop and Auto Shuttle
Check "Stop at end time" and "loop continuously". If I remember rightly, this stops you having to manually restart Sonars sync between each pass. Sonar should follow the VS transport buttons like a good puppy.
I have no idea why so many related settings are in different places.

My VS is a humble 840EX, and we've found that we don't have to record tracks across to pc, but can use a program for the Boss BR8 to directly turn VS tracks to .wav.
I don't think that will work with the 880, but if you've used the uncompressed recording mode and have a scsi drive to move songs to pc, the "take" files can easily be turned into .wav if you have a good wave editor and can "open as" Motorola 16bit 44.1Khz and then "save as" Microsoft pcm .wav.

Thank you very much for the help. I look forward to giving it a try.
I'll let you know either way.

John

Jim Y,

Thank you very much for the help. Your suggestions worked and I was able to successfully transfer my tracks from the VS880 to Sonar. I’m still not sure why Cakewalk 9 wouldn’t let me do it.

Regards,

John

Cakewalk 9 wouldn’t let me do it.
I know it works with 9.3.

Vs880 as slave:

Cakewalk settings:
Under the SETTINGS menu, choose CLOCK and select SMPTE/MTC. Click on OK.
Under the SETTINGS menu, choose MIDI OUT and enable Transmit MMC.
From the same screen, set the Timecode Master's Unit ID to 17. Click on OK.
Under the SETTINGS menu, choose Time Format and select 30 Frame Non-Drop. Click on
OK.
VS-880 Settings:
Press SYSTEM (under EDIT CONDITION) until the display reads "SYS Sync/Tempo ?"
Press YES/ENTER.
Use the TIME/VALUE dial to select Source = ext (Note: if I set this to INT it dosnt work why I have no Idea
Press PARAMETER>> until "SYS Syn:Gen. =" is displayed.
Use the TIME/VALUE dial to select Syn:Gen.= MTC.
Press PARAMETER>> until "Syn:MTC Type =" is displayed. Use the TIME/VALUE dial to
select 30.
Press SYSTEM until the display reads "SYS MIDI PRM ?"
Press YES/ENTER.
Use the TIME/VALUE dial to select Device ID = 17 (if it is not already selected).
Press PARAMETER>> and use the TIME/VALUE dial to select MIDI Thr = Out.
Press PARAMETER>> and use the TIME/VALUE dial to select SysEx.RX = On.
Press PARAMETER>> and use the TIME/VALUE dial to select MMC = Slave.
Click on the play icon in Cakewalk. The VS-880 will begin playback in sync with
Cakewalk.

For the VS-880 to be the master device, use the following settings.

Cakewalk Settings:
Under the SETTINGS menu, choose CLOCK and select MIDI Sync.
VS-880 Settings:
Press SYSTEM until "SYS Sync/Tempo ?" is displayed. Press YES/ENTER.
Use the TIME/VALUE dial to select Source = EXT (if it is not already selected).
Press PARAMETER>> until "Syn:Gen. =" is displayed. Use the TIME/VALUE dial to select
MIDIclk.
Press SYSTEM until "SYS MIDI PRM ?" is displayed. Press YES/ENTER.
Press PARAMETER>> until "MIDI Thr =" is displayed. Use the TIME/VALUE dial to select
Out (if it is not already selected).
Click on the play icon in Cakewalk (it will start flashing). Press PLAY on the VS-880
and Cakewalk will begin playback in sync with the VS-880.
:cool:

Thanks Duck. I can't remeber tonight exactly what my settings were but I am quite certain the problem was in the VS880. When I started playing the song in Cakewalk the midi light would flash on the VS880 but the song would never start.

How bout an 840
O.K. but how about using a V.S. 840
Heres my options

Roland: Midi- device I.D. (1-32) im set at 17
MMC Master- slave- or Off
Thats it in the Midi Settings

Sync Tempo Gen.- Off, MTC, Midi Clock, or Sync Track
MTC type24, 25, 29 ,30
Offset )
Tempo ) Says [enter here]
Sync record )
Those are the only midi related options on the 840
Cakewalk home studio 9:
Options_Project_ Midi out_- Send Midi Sync-
Transmit Midi start/ stop/ continue/clock_ if this is checked then I can also select
Use start never continue
Transmit midi song position pointer
Locate delay for SPP 0- >300
Midi Output port
Those are about my only options, Nothing for Master Slave, Nothing for Device I.D. I Think I just about give up. Any Ideas?
Thanx

The trouble with the 840 is that it can only be a sync master. Double trouble is that Home Studio cannot be sync slave and even then it can only be a Master for Midi Clock, which is only good for hardware midi sequencers, drum machines and synth arppegiators. You need MTC sync for audio. You would have to upgrade to Sonar to get it working (unless the latest Home Studio can slave to MTC, but I don't think so).

Do a search. or read through some recent posts (it's a very common question) in the 840 forum at...

http://www.vsplanet.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

Back