How do you track vocals?

Track Rat said:
One of my favorite dirty tricks is to tell the singer just to warm up with the tune in question while I set levels and make a headphone mix. I secretly press record and 3 out of 5 times this will be the keeper. When people don't think the record light is on they lose their tape nerves, ya know what I mean?

The demo cd my band did I was just doing scratch vocals to keep every one in the right place on the song....... Used all of them.. Tried to re-record a couple of lines and the scratch was still better.
It was our first time in the studio. If I had had a few grand to spend I might have been able to get more at ease and lay better tracks down..

Any way the moral of the storie is ... I tricked my self on accident:D:D:D:D

OH Ya! I record whole takes on a loop. the fist couple of trys are to differing to splice together but, after that I can pick two tracks that I can build into one. If all else fails I will punch in on the built track but it is harder to make it fit that way. I try to splice tracks only in between chorus' and verses so the feel and intensety don't vary from line to line. You know I only cutt at major breaks in the vocals.

F.S.

VOXVENDOR said:

"Load up on guns"..... Then I do it over and over (loop record) and get it perfect..... And then move on to "Bring your friends"

Dude, that sounds like something Billy Corgan would do... kinda anal, but I've heard your stuff and it works for ya. Maybe I should try that out, but I always have a fear of tracks not lining up right so it might be scary to have like a million files with different starting times.

Usually for vocals, if you can call my mouth noise that, I go through a "scratch" take to get the feel down, and then one of my roomates comes home so it becomes the final because I can't stand singing with them here. So your technique might come in handy cause I could work a little at a time.

Nothing like overcoming one fear to not face another! Avoidance rules!!!

Rock on!
Pat

I'd prefer to do it in one take but I always have to go back and punch in, usually 60 or 70 times. Lately I'll set a sizeable chunk of singing up as a segment to punch in for. If I have something I really like, I may punch in tiny bits to fix a problem elsewhere but I usually save the track out with a name like "good first line" and comp it in later. Then I comp 2 or 3 vocals takes together (if you've heard any of my stuff you're probably laughing at this point ) and come up with the final track Typically I also end up comping the comped track with subsequent tracking sessions etc...

I don't like using copied audio, I do that mostly when I'm writing and/or working on form either to change stuff around or fix a glaring mistake that's ruining the flow of the song. I have a bit of it in some stuff, but mostly because I'm expecting to retrack it.

Man, I am way old school. I try to get it right the whole way thru. I try and sing it all the way thru and get it right. My voice only holds out for about 5 takes that way, but...I hate comping or punching in because I always get the levels off and then it sounds unnatural. I come from an old cassette based format and that was hard as hell to punch in or comp so I still have that mentality in my digital recordings

Back