How do you set your projects up?

FunkDaddy

I need to get into the habit of organizing my music a little better, now that I'm comfortable using Reaper, I'm just curious how you guys go about it?

Is it as simple as having a folder for each project so all the audio files are in one place? It does that automatically right? Saves the .wav files in the same directory as the .rpp file I mean. I need to start thinking about clearing out some of the audio files I won't use again.

p.s. Just an add-on question, is there any way to change the default metronome sounds? I know it's there in the Metronome Settings tab but it goes back to the default sounds every time I open a new project, just a bit of an annoyance as I always prefer a hi/low cowbell as opposed to those digital blips.

Reaper doesnt set up project folders automatically.
But you should.
Keep it organized from the start and you wont be banging you head into the wall later.
(And you should be recording to a secondary drive, not your boot drive, too...)

Instead of using the metronome you should set up a midi track of quarter notes.
I prefer to use hi-hat ticks, but whatever works for you.
Dont use the crappy Microsoft synth, instead try the free SFZ soundfont vsti and a free general midi drumset soundfont (hammersound.net)
http://www.cakewalk.com/products/instruments/sfz_player/default.asp

(If you only want to deal with audio tracks, you can set up a midi track as above and then render it out to a 8 or 16 measure .wav file and loop that instead. Save them at whatever bpm you use and keep them in a separate folder for later projects....

Is it as simple as having a folder for each project so all the audio files are in one place? It does that automatically right? Saves the .wav files in the same directory as the .rpp file I mean. I need to start thinking about clearing out some of the audio files I won't use again.

p.s. Just an add-on question, is there any way to change the default metronome sounds? I know it's there in the Metronome Settings tab but it goes back to the default sounds every time I open a new project, just a bit of an annoyance as I always prefer a hi/low cowbell as opposed to those digital blips.

Yes...I always create a new folder in my main reaper saves dir for every tune. Once you save the .rpp to that folder, then reaper will save any .wav's etc to that folder too as you said. That's a good feature with reaper cause I get so sick of having to start pointing toward the correct dir with other programs everytime I want to import or export some other format.

I can't see a way for reaper to remember your custom metronome .wav, I've had a quick look through the config files..maybe 'gecko zzed' knows more. But as 'Tim' says above...you should really only have to use the metronome once. Get some beats in there and just follow them...the metronome isn't really meant to sound nice is it?

Mart.

In the save as window, there are three checkboxes: create project folder, copy media, and move media.

So yes, reaper can do this automatically. In the preferences, you can also tell reaper where to save audio data. This comes in handy when starting a project before saving it. Then when you do save it, you can choose either move or copy options I mentioned to keep everything organized.

In your project settings dialog box, if you click the "Audio Settings" tab, you can set where the project will store it's audio files ("Path to save media files"). If you set it to a relative path (i.e. "audioFiles/") instead of an absolute path (i.e. "C:\reaper\files") and store each project in a separate folder, Reaper will automagically sort the data out to the appropriate location. If you then "Save as default project settings", it'll do that for all your new projects.

If you set it to a relative path (i.e. "audioFiles/") instead of an absolute path (i.e. "C:\reaper\files") and store each project in a separate folder, Reaper will automagically sort the data out to the appropriate location.

This sounds exactly how I'd like to start organizing my music. This relative path you speak of...I have a seperate hard drive I'd like to use just for audio (dedicated studio PC), I believe it's the E: drive, what would a smart way to set that up be so Reaper defaults to that drive instead of the Reaper directory?

I'm not exactly sure how I would set up a "relative path"...

Can it be set to inport from a set folder? Each time I start a new project and attempt to inport the first new track, it defaults to Reaper's program folder. I'd like it to start on the external harddrive in the projects folder I have there. How can I do that?

Sorry to hijack your thread, FunkDaddy, but I think this question pertains to what you were asking...

This sounds exactly how I'd like to start organizing my music. This relative path you speak of...I have a seperate hard drive I'd like to use just for audio (dedicated studio PC), I believe it's the E: drive, what would a smart way to set that up be so Reaper defaults to that drive instead of the Reaper directory?

I'm not exactly sure how I would set up a "relative path"...

I think you'll have to save each project on the separate hard drive. i.e. install Reaper on your C: drive. Then keep all your projects in separate folders on the E: drive. (i.e. E:\ReaperProjects\song1 and E:\ReaperProjects\song2) then set your default path to something like "audioData/".

Song 1's audio data will get stored in E:\ReaperProjects\song1\audioData, and song 2's will be in E:\ReaperProjects\song2\audioData.

I have it set up just like that. I looked, but couldn't find a tab that lets me set a default file to open, only a default render... (v2.56)

Once I save the session, I have no problems, it's just during initial startup of a project. I inport the first track, save the sessioin with the song name, and then it automatically goes to the folder where the rest of the files are.

I think you'll have to save each project on the separate hard drive. i.e. install Reaper on your C: drive. Then keep all your projects in separate folders on the E: drive. (i.e. E:\ReaperProjects\song1 and E:\ReaperProjects\song2) then set your default path to something like "audioData/".

Song 1's audio data will get stored in E:\ReaperProjects\song1\audioData, and song 2's will be in E:\ReaperProjects\song2\audioData.

Ahhh excellent, I was confused as to how the "audioData/" path would save the files, I get it now, thanks brother!

Back