How do you keep up?

M.Brane

I downloaded nearly 90MB of mp3's to check out today. It's taken me most of the evening to check 'em out, and I have a DSL line. Yeah I type slow, but still......

You do this while you're supposed to be working , right? :eek:

I'm on dial-up and I simply can't keep up. I feel guilty... I haven't downloaded anything in so long.

It's tough... I'm afraid some people will take it personally if I don't get to thier stuff. And, granted, some people do get priority from me. Either because they're friends of mine, I'm a fan, or both. Some day I'll figure out a way to batch stuff and DL while I'm out.

M.Brane said:
I downloaded nearly 90MB of mp3's to check out today. It's taken me most of the evening to check 'em out, and I have a DSL line. Yeah I type slow, but still......

Well, that's your problem, you're downloading them all. Streamin' hi-fi is the only way to go.

I have cable too...

I'll usually always download.. it's a pain in the ass not being able to forward and rewind while streaming.. my cable connection is ridiculously fast, that's why I get to listen to so much stuff.. it takes seconds to download.. (sometimes)

M.Brane said:

imagine that..

What I've been doing lately is downloading about 9-12 songs at a time and then putting them on CD. Then I can listen to them on a better system, and I can listen to a lot at once.

It takes a little while to do this, but it works out okay.

:D

At work it takes 10 seconds to download something. So thats where I do it. As long as its headphones its ok.

I am finally back among the living with my new DSL connection so, you won't hear any more belly-aching from me!

Sorry if I missed any bodies stuff for the past week while I was on dial up.

Cheers! :)

Sadly, I just can't keep up. That's the plain truth. I have to dl at home and listen at work on phones for the most part. I try to get to around 6 - 9 a week, but realistically it's closer to 4 - 6 :(. Not a lot of harm done, because I'm ususally not that helpful mixwise anyway :(. I do like hearing all y'all's stuff though. :).

Anyway...someday maybe I'll have more time & a better listening environment. I love this place. I wish I could give a little more to it. :)

I'm with sam on the downloads (BTW that's a cool avatar. I just sat here and stared at it for a few minutes, and I don't even partake :) I do stream occasionally, but I like to download so if it's something I dig I can put it right into the iTunes folder. I've only had my DSL for about a year-and -a half, so I remember dial-up. shudder How did I survive on 4kps? Oh yeah, that was before I found this place.:p

Unfortunately I don't have access to the computers at work. They're Windows 2000 boxes that crash a lot anyway, and my DSL is a lot faster than the ISDN there.:rolleyes:

I need to get an iPod so I can load it up at night, and listen during the day.:cool:

More gear!:eek:

:D

I can't keep up when I'm gigging a lot.
When I'm not gigging I try to do 3 a night but it's been several weeks since I've had time.

M.Brane said:

:D :D I have dial-up both at home and at work. I am able to listen alot because i "do" work as im d/l'ing. I spend the first part of my mornings in the office..... .....doing a little taking off/estimating ... ...doing a little listening ...doing a little bookwork ...doing a little listening.....

dial up is a drag..... .....but if i had a fast connection, I wouldnt get "any" work done.:D

I don't keep up - simple. Streaming sucks, both in terms of sound quality and like Sam said, you can't go back and listen to certain parts you want to focus on. So I try to cover the work done by people who cover my stuff by downloading while I'm doing other surfing - a three-minute song takes me about 20 minutes to download.

Anyway, it's such a pain that I bit the bullet yesterday and ante'd up for a broadband connection (is that what you're calling DSL?).

DOBRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your on the SUPERHIGHWAY now friend.
Get used to it cause there is no way you are going back:D

Since they put the kebash on MP3 sites at work it's next to impossible to listen to tunes anymore.:(

No way I can keep up. As a matter of fact , I'm not even reading this right now, cause I don't have time!

I used to listen at work mostly, but since we opened this new clinic, It's taking most of my time. Now my computer at home is down too (hard drive crashed and burned). I'll be more regular once I get this mess straightened out.

It helps a lot when people post their stuff on Nowhere Radio so I can stream it, and don't have to register everytime I want to listen to something new. So I always listen to stuff that's posted there first, then go back for the rest if there's time. I don't want to be unfair here, I just have to make the best use of my time, or I won't be able to listen at all! So if you feel your not getting enough listens, try posting at NWR and see if that helps.

Apologies to ALL for nor not participating the last few weeks. I'll be back soon to try to contribute in some small way. Thanks to you all for all the time you give here to keep the fire burning.

Twist

Download -- NOW
Listen -- LATER

now ---> [ path paved with good intentions ] ----> "on deck" directory (hell)

So many tunes dl'ed that I haven't had time to respond to :( And the HR Comp has gotta get reviewed, too...

Excuses -- NOW
Conscience -- CLEAN

:)

Impossible

Fortunately there are a lot of folks out here so no one really gets dumped in the dark. I try as much as I can to listen and reply 'cause the level of talent here makes it worthwhile to try. Endless good taste!! How refreshing!!
Milan

Back