how do you hook up a sub to your DAW

altiris

My home audio receiver had a sub out. and my sub has a, well a sub in. but if I want to buy a sub for my DAW how is it hooked up when I dont have a sub out from my audio interface or monitor? do I need to buy something else to use one?

altiris said:
My home audio receiver had a sub out. and my sub has a, well a sub in. but if I want to buy a sub for my DAW how is it hooked up when I dont have a sub out from my audio interface or monitor? do I need to buy something else to use one?
If it's a powered sub, it will have full-range inputs and outputs to go to your monitors.

MadAudio said:
If it's a powered sub, it will have full-range inputs and outputs to go to your monitors.
ok so then it will go; audio interface out> sub in> subout> moitors. if thats the hook up then does the sub out bypass the sub circit

altiris said:
.... if thats the hook up then does the sub out bypass the sub circit

I'm not sure what you mean by that...?
A powered subwoofer will generally have full range inputs, and will have full range outputs to your stereo monitors, just like MadAudio said. The outputs from the sub will be the same signal you sent to the sub, perhaps with some low frequencies filtered out, and this will feed your monitors just as it would normally. The in's & out's on the subwoofer are basically just a crossover network.

metalhead28 said:
I'm not sure what you mean by that...?
A powered subwoofer will generally have full range inputs, and will have full range outputs to your stereo monitors, just like MadAudio said. The outputs from the sub will be the same signal you sent to the sub, perhaps with some low frequencies filtered out, and this will feed your monitors just as it would normally. The in's & out's on the subwoofer are basically just a crossover network.
ah ok makes better sense now thanks. I thought that the ins on the sub had to already be a cross over signal.

Back