how do you hear other tracks?

kkh961216

Hi! Seems like I'm having lots of questions recently.

So I ordered all my stuff, cables, preamp, interface, mic blah blah.

I have a monitor and a headphone monitor, both of which I'm sure goes into the interface. Well, in that case, how do I hear the other tracks I'm recording with? Like, other tracks that

have already been recorded into my pc? Is there a way to hear my other tracks (without delay), monitoring myself, AND hearing myself from monitors at the same time? Because if I

just let the sound come out of my speakers, I think the mic is going to catch it, but without doing that, there's no other way to both monitor, and hear where I'm at with the

background music ..... :/ And it's not like I can wear 2 headphones at once...

So how does this work? How do you hear the monitor, headphone, and tracks all at once? + wouldn't the sound from the monitor record into the mic?
(off topic: is Focusrite ISA one and TLM 102 a good combination for high tenor, thin voice?)

I'm using M-Audio Fast Track 2 and Apex HPDJ1 DJ Monitoring Headphones, and M-Audio AV40 monitors. Don't both of them plug in to the interface? How will my headphones hear what's happening on the tracks on the computer? Does the computer play back to the interface or something?

Not sure how that is setup with tat particular interface, but there should be a way to control the mix from computer, and the 'Direct Monitoring' from your inputs.

Yes, that is what the interface does. It allows a two way connection to the computer, both in and out of your DAW.

It does. That what it do! :D

lol

That's why they call it an interface! :laughings:

sorry... had to.

MAUDIO said:
Direct Monitoring

All digital audio recording systems introduce a small delay between the instrument input and the output coming from the computer. This “latency” can be distracting enough to cause pitch and timing errors when you’re recording. Fast Track solves this latency problem with a direct monitor switch, letting you hear your instruments directly through the interface before they go into the computer.

M-AUDIO - Fast Track - Record Guitar and Vocals on Your Computer

Unfortunately that interface is about as basic as they get and not very versatile with regard to monitoring and "track building".

There is only a Direct Monitor switch whereas better interfaces (the Fast track pro e.g.) give you a mix control allowing a balance to be made between the off computer sounds and the inputs.

Plugging in headphones kills the monitor feeds. Good idea to prevent howlround with an open mic but pretty inconvienient at all other times!

Still, we all gotta learn!

Dave.

Sorry, but I haven't a clue what direct monitor is... is it hearing just the mic? Or everything altogether? And what good would it be to balance tracks? Wouldn't you be able to quiet down tracks on the software instead?

---------------
Better yet, do all of the recommended starting audio interfaces at the newbie sticky have the ability to monitor EVERYthing?
-----------------
changed to Fast Track Pro. Does with let me hear EVERY track? cuz I don't understand "mix control allowing balance .... "

Last edited:
Dude i've been following and even helping you in your other threads and before you go spend a penny of that 2k that's burning a hole in your pocket i suggest you read up and learn how to do some of this stuff before you buy . that way you will have a better clue what suits your needs.
Just trying to save you from spending on stuff thats not going to do what you want.

Back