How do you have your keyboard midi controller configured?

Berberman

I was considering buying a Compact MIDI Keyboard Controller kinda like the M-audio Oxygen 8 or O2 or even the E-mu X-board 25 keys...then i saw the simple midi keyboards with no knobs for much less -kinda like the M-audio keystation 49 -and i thought hey, i don't have any experience with these yet and i wonder if i'm gonna use all those extra knobs...

What do you use yours for and how do you have them configured? share your setup with me.

I use a Novation remote 25 and have it programmed for every synth in the studio (some have several presets for various tasks) plus the transport buttons for use with my sequencer. So yes, I use the hell out of my controls

I have a simple 49Key Evolution Controller. I dont use much except for the Octave button :( I shoulda held out for more keys but I am a poor musician. :mad:

I do everything with my computer. I edit like mad: velocity, panning, whatever. I dont use the mod wheel often, I hardly ever use pitch bend. I'n boring.

altitude909 said:
I use a Novation remote 25 and have it programmed for every synth in the studio (some have several presets for various tasks) plus the transport buttons for use with my sequencer. So yes, I use the hell out of my controls

Cool stuff. What are transport buttons though? and how do you like the novation compared to the m-audio Oxygen 8?

Transport are ffwd/rwd/stop/play/rec for my sequencer. The Remote is light years ahead of the oxygen 8 as far as programmability since I can send any type of midi msg where the oxygen 8 and only send CC's. Plus the novation keyboard action is very good and the remote also serves as an additional midi port

Beginner or Pro, it matters what your applications are.

I use my boards for performance more than recording, so I don't use the transport controls too often. However:

Pitch/Mod wheels or equivilant are a MUST have.

Aftertouch is nice if you can get it.

Patches should be accessible from the board. Memory should be there too.

Octave +/- is also a must have.

Splits/Zones are nice if you can get them.

Any MIDI keyboard can do layering.

You may or may not require editing features for patch creation.

You might be interested in programable pads. Good for finger drums and other triggers.

YMMV.

Carl

I've got a Korg Kontrol 49 set up to run M Audio's KeyRig and Ableton Live. Scenes break down by function. One scene runs Live's session view like a standard mixer (levels, pans and the pads handle transport.) Another scene runs two Send channels where I'll usually keep Reverb and Compression.

Live's drum sequencer, Impulse and soft Operator each have their own scene. I've also got Scenes assigned to all three intruments in KeyRig, so that when I'm using the B3 the Korg's faders act as drawbars, the pitch wheel controls leslie and the mod wheel controls drive. KeyRig's piano and synth have their own scenes as well. Each instrument gets it's own Channel.

It took me about a week of evenings to get it all set up, but since then I haven't messed with it at all other than to mess around making music.

I've got an 88 key controller in my studio, a Yamaha KX-88. The pitch and mod wheels, and aftertouch are really all that I use. Plus the volume and sustain pedals of course. The 88 keys are really important to me, as is the weighted action.

For gigging I use a Roland A-70, which is a 76 note controller. It's semi-weighted and much lighter than the KX88, making it perfect for gigging. 99.9% of the time I don't miss those extra few notes that the KX88 has.

Sometimes I use one or two of my 61 note keyboards on gigs, if I don't need the upper and lower notes that the A-70 provides.

Those little two octave keyboards are very cool because they are so small, but for the kind of work I do they are not practical. The whole octave switching thing would drive me crazy.

Once you've got all your performances set up in your module (using a pc, or using the module controls itself), in theory you only need a programme change button on your controller... but if you're on stage and one of the layered sounds for example is way too loud, then you'll be hoping for a quick way to change it from the controller, as opposed to crawling around on your knees to find the module in your rack to change the settings

SonicAlbert said:
I've got an 88 key controller in my studio, a Yamaha KX-88. The pitch and mod wheels, and aftertouch are really all that I use. Plus the volume and sustain pedals of course. The 88 keys are really important to me, as is the weighted action.
That's pretty much how I work presently. The only difference would be my DPMC8 keyboard.

Although, it is more time consuming, and even less rational at times, but I just like to pay a personal visit to each module and program from there ;)

The Only thing that travels to that corner with me would be some smallish keyboard.

Partly used my Radikal SAC 2K. Friend begged me to change my old MotorMix for this one. Strange how bullet-proof looking surface is way noisier (faders) then my old Motormix.

altitude909 said:
When I see two octave keyboard I feel like my hands are handcuffed. But it is not bad at all to sit in your chair and test/play with your lead/sounds. Tempted now :)

What do you make of this?
Is this new, or just new to me?

Back