How do you handle -10 db input on MSR 16?

Astoe

Hi guys,

I am new to the Reel to reel. Got an MSR 16 and want to do the mixdown of my DAW to the MSR 16 instead of bouncing tracks inside cubase.

Now my output is TRS balanced. the MSR16 in is cinch unbalanced at -10 db. how would you handle the situation?

Will it be enough if I put the output of the DAW down or will the dynamics of the signal still be to high.

Sorry kind of stupid questions, but well... :confused:

thx

Astoe said:
Now my output is TRS balanced.

output of what? what hardware/card/system? You may have options there... guys may know what exactly to do in your situation.

/respects

also, what do you mean by "do the mixdown of my DAW to the MSR 16"... do you mean using two tracks of MSR as 'mixdown' stereo ???? kind of trying to understand what are you trying to do.... :confused:

Hi Dr Zee,

thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my question.

Don't get me wrong, but I think the material I use is really secondary.

The main question is : How do I get a 0db balanced signal into a -10 db unbalanced input.

If you want an image : Do I simply make a cable with TRS on one side and a cinch connector on the other side?...Probably not. I know Tascam used to make some boxes like LA-80 and LA 81, they would perfectly fit the job, but are pretty expensive. :(

At the time tascam built the MSR 16, their consoles were complying to the
-10db standard. Today, 0db is standard.

To answer your question about the mixdown : I am basically doing all my recs and editing in cubase SX (Voices, analog synths, VST instruments...). When the song is finished, I would normally bounce it to a stereo track inside Cubase.

BUT this does often not lead to satisfying results. So my plan is to use my 8 outputs and go directly into my MSR16. If there are more than eight channels needed, I repeat the operation. Of course I want to get tape sound here.

After recording I'd like to mix everything down to two tracks and do some final polishing back in the DAW...Hope I was clear.

Sorry, I am one of those crazy guys who has to try out everything and I end up with a pretty weird setup, but that's the way I like It ;) ...and somehow it works.

Anyone for an idea?

Astoe said:
The main question is : How do I get a 0db balanced signal into a -10 db unbalanced input.
do you mean "+4dBu" - to - "-10dBu" :confused:
again, what's your computer card/hardware?!?!?!? :D
You may have settings options for outputs (via software...or actually switch on your hardware box)

I have a MSR24 which has been changed to +4dB, something was tweaked on the 24 PCB's.

Hi again

Here we go:

I got a Yamaha 01x which is connected to a Yamaha i 88x via mLan.

There is no switch for the output, but the idea of looking on the software side sounds interesting, I'll have a look for that.

But of course, if I could raise the input of the MSR 16 to +4db (not 0, sorry...getting loco with all those db stories) that would be perfect.

Thx

Yeah, man - nice gear ;)
The gear is fine, however I personally detest this kind of B.S. :
That Yamaha intends this to be a professional-level product is clear from the lack of switchable balanced/unbalanced jacks popular on consumer products. With the exception of inputs one and two –which are unbalanced bi-directional TRS jacks – the i88x’s inputs and outputs are all balanced TRS jacks.The difference in quality fromunbalanced to balanced cables is obscenely obvious, and by leaving out an unbalanced option, Yamaha is preventing users from skimping on cables, highlighting the high-quality processing that thei88x is capable of.
Obvious?!!!! Highlighting the high-quality?!!!!! - "Highlight my AS*!" - I must say :D .
source
heh heh heh .... I mean c'mon ...give me a f*ng break. Since when lack of features has become something to be "proud of"??? :eek:

anyways... I don't know... but you may have problem here. Or maybe not. I have no idea how your interface works in details. You maybe simply can set level on the front panel? Gain control knobs? You can try this. Use simple 1/4"-to-RCA mono cables/or snake to connect outs from your interface with inputs of MSR. Arm rec. on MSR on selected track(s). Set gain low on your interface. Playback something on your DAW. Turn up chnl's gain slowly ...watch record levels on MSR. I'm just guessing here.
The other option always there: to use "gain-match device", something like this one , but you'll have to deal with extra cables/connectors.
pain in the neck...

I would suggest just using an adaptive cable that output the TS signal from your TRS output jacks on your digital end and has that terminating to a standard RCA/phono plug on the other end of the wire going into the reel to reel.

The 10 db hotter signal shouldn't be too hard to deal with so long as you have a means of turning the volume down a bit on the digital end so as not to be burying the meters on the MSR16. If you have the dbx version, you'll want your incoming levels to be peaking around -3db on the meters. If it's the Dolby S version, peaks of around +6db should come out clean so long as there are no transient peaks way above that level but with digital, transient peaks are dumbed down quite a bit so no worries there. ;)

If you're only using a couple of tracks of the analog recorder at a time, consider a couple of decent DI boxes to deal with the level/balanced/unbalanced situation...much cheaper then a TASCAM LA80/81 scenario.

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
Nice link! :)
:D :D :D
yaaah! tha'link is for guys who love messing with hot-guns, sharp blades and wiry whips... .... making your own cables that is :D :D :D
For guys who wear white gloves and shiny blue shoes I'd recommend a "luxury ride" :D
... not much of luxury ..actually, but it's a straight forward ride
/respects

I saw a patchbay on ebay that does this.
It is basically what Ghost said but someone wired 24 channels of it into a box.

dude just take a regular stereo RCA cable, cut off the ends and soldier on guitar jacks. adjust the level with either your software, a mixer, or a pre (that can accept line via a Pad) to what the MSR wants to see.

Back