How do you guys wind a pancake hub??

analog aaron

Swami King of Poppers
Winding a pancake hub onto a reel...........Just wondering if you guys do this often and if so, how does one typically do this? Any tips, tricks or the like would be appreciated.:)

1) Load pancake hub onto supply platter.
2) Load empty take-up reel on take-up platter.
3) Record

Viola! Kill two birds with one stone! Well, that's how I do it anyway.:D

1) Load pancake hub onto supply platter.
2) Load empty take-up reel on take-up platter.
3) Record

Viola! Kill two birds with one stone! Well, that's how I do it anyway.:D

Or:
1. Remove screws holding empty reel together and then remove empty hub
2. substitute pancake into reel and replace screws.

Voila!

Or:
1. Remove screws holding empty reel together and then remove empty hub
2. substitute pancake into reel and replace screws.

Voila!

That works too.:p

OR

you could play the blank tape onto the empty take-up reel. Notice I said play, not fast forward.;)

If you really want to play the pancake onto another reel, you'd better be sure your transport is accurate enough for it (and aligned) or else you could have one heck of a mess on your hands if the pancake starts 'jumping the rails' and unspooling on you.

The safest is to take a reel apart and lay the 'cake into it that way.

C.

or...

If your deck is on its back or can be laid flat you can save one step if you have an extra flange...put the tape box on its face so you can open the box and put the one flange on the back of the pancake...close the box and put the box back on its back...open box and transfer horizontal one-flanged reel to deck...wind one-flange reel onto two-flanged empty reel. If your deck has a spool mode you're pretty safe with at least one flange on the pancake and the deck on its back winding at that speed.

Thanks, some great ideas guys.........

What if the pancake's tape length is twice that of a regular reel? Some new tape comes in 1800 feet. And the pancake come's in 3600 feet. Will all that tape fit onna regular reel? I've never bought a pancake before, but I'm thinking you save money on tape when buying them (IF you already have empty reels and boxes, if not you've gotta buy those and it's almost not worth the trouble, unless yer buyin' bulk quantities) Thinkin' bout buyin' some LPR35 pancakes from splicit. (?)

If you're going from a 10.5" (2400'/3600') reel onto 7" reels (1200'/1800') you will have to wind it across. It will neatly fit across two reels - you'll have to cut it in the middle when the first spool fills up of course.

Personally, I normally do the reel-dismantling thing Rick Ruskin mentioned, except when I'm going to a smaller target spool or I have a cheap plastic spool that can't be disassembled.
I've never had a problem doing a fast wind on these as long as you keep watching it to make sure it's okay. When I do it this way, I always keep the pancake on a single flange to act as a platter, and have the winding machine flat on its back.

Back