How Do You Get Your Music To The Big Labels?

alevy

I Have A Bunch Of C.d.'s. I've Done. I Need To Get It Into The Right Hands. I Need Connections With A&r's And Executives. Is There Like A Website To Contact A Entertainment Manager Or A&r's Entertainment Lawyers Anybody? I Know That You Can't Just Sent Your C.d. To Un9iversal Or Sony. So How Do I Get It In There Hands?

IM RAP BY THE WAY

Seeing as how you're just getting started, I'd say forget the major labels. You need to establish yourself as an artist first.

I have a small name in neworleans. I sold a couple hundred c.d.'s but the c.d. hasnn't made it to any industry people.

Go directly to jail. Do not pass go.

What you could do is get yourself into some real trouble with the law, land in jail, has to be serious enough to make it to the papers and on TV. You can't let them fry you though because you'll never be able to continue writing songs n stuff. Then, some movie producers and record companies (major ones i'm sure,) will contact you for rights to your story and the RCs will pay your family all the royalties you're entitled to for years and years to come.

No? :eek:

BMWerks said:
What you could do is get yourself into some real trouble with the law, land in jail, has to be serious enough to make it to the papers and on TV. You can't let them fry you though because you'll never be able to continue writing songs n stuff. Then, some movie producers and record companies (major ones i'm sure,) will contact you for rights to your story and the RCs will pay your family all the royalties you're entitled to for years and years to come.

No? :eek:

im with him

"I Have A Bunch Of C.d.'s. I've Done. I Need To Get It Into The Right Hands. I Need Connections With A&r's And Executives. Is There Like A Website To Contact A Entertainment Manager Or A&r's Entertainment Lawyers Anybody? I Know That You Can't Just Sent Your C.d. To Un9iversal Or Sony. So How Do I Get It In There Hands?"

No?

Fine contribution to the arts and humanity. Truly the work of genius. A splendid array and multiplicity of extravaganza depicting the metamorphosis of gangsta. Brilliant.

Agree with MadAudio. You have to have something to sell before people will buy. 200 units is a start, but I wouldn't approach these guys until you have 5000-10,000 units sold.

My advice is to continue to work on your live show. That will help you sell records.

I have a newsletter at www.krtipsheet.com with people who are looking for music. I'll give you the first issue free, so drop by www.krtipsheet.com and check it out. There are also similar services, like www.notc.com, although that one is mainly for songwriters.

Right. So, where does the money come from to fund this "free give-away"? Either someone's not telling you, or you're not telling all. Am I the only one that knows that you don't get something for nothing? I don't think so.

alevy said:
I Have A Bunch Of C.d.'s. I've Done. I Need To Get It Into The Right Hands. I Need Connections With A&r's And Executives. Is There Like A Website To Contact A Entertainment Manager Or A&r's Entertainment Lawyers Anybody? I Know That You Can't Just Sent Your C.d. To Un9iversal Or Sony. So How Do I Get It In There Hands?

IM RAP BY THE WAY
Unless you know somebody or related to somebody who is deep in the game at our level the best thing is to build a buzz. you can forget the majors homie. Now the real question is how do you build a buzz. That's what I would like to hear everybody opinion on. I mean I got my own methods but it never hurts to hear more.

BMWerks said:
Right. So, where does the money come from to fund this "free give-away"? Either someone's not telling you, or you're not telling all. Am I the only one that knows that you don't get something for nothing? I don't think so.

Ohhh... www.musicbizcd.com

The site explains why we're doing it.

I sell the same CD at Amazon.com, so you can pay $39.95 if you'd like. ;)

Guys, the key to the record companies is the radio. It's been that way for the past 60 years, and I don't see it changing any time soon. Why, because if you don't have a few million fans, you will not sell a million records, and if you can't sell a million records, then they cannot make a good profit. They are big record companies because they sell millions of records. If you don't fit that profile, then they won't waste their time looking at you, it's that simple.

Let me put it this way, if you were a record company and had a choice between betwen a great song writer/player who 500 people have heard, and someone, who wasn't as good, but gets a lot of radio play and have reached 500,000 people, who would you choose.

Record companies are companies. They are in business to make a profit. You need to give them something that they can sell. Everytime they sign a new group, they take a chance on them. If you have proven youself on the radio, and continue to get airplay, it reduces their risk.

juststartingout said:
Guys, the key to the record companies is the radio. It's been that way for the past 60 years, and I don't see it changing any time soon. Why, because if you don't have a few million fans, you will not sell a million records, and if you can't sell a million records, then they cannot make a good profit. They are big record companies because they sell millions of records. If you don't fit that profile, then they won't waste their time looking at you, it's that simple.

Although radio is one way to do it, the key is a fanbase and a maketing plan. There are plenty of band who have done well without radio and it's getting less and less important every day as things like Podcasting grow in popularity.

Back