How do you build a band, but you're the captian. Any ideas?

weatherbill

I'm stumped. I know how to market myself, have some money to do it, have equipement and knowledge on how most of it works. My problem is finding band members that will stick, in a town of hired guns (nashville). The hired guns don't have time for practice becasue of other gigs. Finding band members who would commit is like pulling teeth here because of the "oprotunities" that come their way. Funny thing is, those opportunities will only put some quick cash in their pockets, but won't build them a long term source of income due to saturation and the many empty promises out there.
I'm trying to build a Dave Matthews Band kinda structure, where I'm the captain of the ship, but any captain will listen to the needs of his crew well. The only thing is, the harbor here is full of other boats that usually don't go anywhere. So the crew winds up jumping ship.
Any ideas of how to keep the crew before things bust loose and the results come. (man, these kids don't understand that it doesn't happen over night!)

Man I'd love to be able to help you! Even if you're not in Nashville, it's very difficult to find a group of talented individuals that are going to share your vision. Then if you do, it's even harder to keep all of them together for any extended period of time.
Did you move to Nashville, or is that where you're from? I would tend to think that's not the best of places to be looking to form a band. Most bands go to Nashville as established acts, and most individuals don't normally go to nashville looking to join a band. Good luck.

bd

I agree

Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to look for some grass roots people who are maybe discouraged because of the saturation not giving them opportunities.
I think that's what I need to do. Find musicians who are nobodies and I'de rather work with them anyway than a great pro who's in on a bunch of other things

A couple of things you mentioned are key.

Find musicians who are nobodies and I’d rather work with them anyway than a great pro who's in on a bunch of other things

My problem is finding band members that will stick.

I started in 1975. Until this day I preach that the biggest problem is not the music or the talent or the equipment. It's finding people who can get along and also want to stay together.

Sometimes a nobody musician who is willing to stick is actually more valuable than a busy somebody. One thing for sure is that you have to get used to losing people and starting over. Current tapes of songs and arrangements are a must.

I have the greatest love for Huey Lewis after watching a special. Way back when, the big wigs wanted him to replace band members. He said no, these are my band mates and stuck with them.

Until this day he's still gigging with the same group that they started way back when. Wouldn't that be nice?

Joe

Ive done that very same thing recently, heres how you do it:

1. You'll need a sister of child bearing age...If you don't have one, talk to your parents about adopting. Explain how important this is.
  2. Get her married off(preferably), and get her to have a child. Male is preferable for cultural reasons they are easier to get interested in bands.
  3. When the kid gets to be around 12 or 13, get him a instrument. Doesnt matter what. Hook him up with lessons. Tell him it will really piss of his mom, he'll obsess on it.
  4. Set up a home studio with room for a band to practice. Eventually, he will start a band, and mom won't let him practice at her house.
  5. Gradually win over his new band mates to where they think you are cooler than he is.
    [/list=1]

You should at this point be able to just gradually take over his band, and convince him that you are doing him a favor by getting them valuable experiance. It works. Trust me. Since you are older than them, and more experianced, they will listen to you. Especially since you own all the really cool gear that they cant afford.

about 1 and 2...if you knock the sister up yourself, its knocks one more person out the picture (the baby daddy) thats looking for a cut of the $$$.......

Personally I just hit the local venues and listen to the talent... if I hear something I like, I stalk and kidnap 'em. If they don't agree to play in my band and sign their soul over to me and become one of my minions I just kill 'em. Though it is getting harder to hide the bodies.....

- Tanlith -

Gidge said:
about 1 and 2...if you knock the sister up yourself, its knocks one more person out the picture (the baby daddy) thats looking for a cut of the $$$.......

Yeah, but then if the kid winds up with webbed fingers, they can only be a drummer. Much better to get a bro to do it for you.

Hey, I could sing...but then you would have to play country and follow my marching orders ;) :D j/k

But seriously, I’ve considered getting back in a band again. Except I’m too old to really have much of a chance of making it big as a performer, I just like doing it. But I do remember the good ole’ days. Bands are a pain in the ass. If I had my way I would just get the deals myself and hire the band to back me. I don’t think I could deal with all the ego trips anymore. But if I do it for fun, I would still want to do my music…so I guess that’s my own ego trip :D

I think in a perfect world, that's what I would do as well. But from what I've heard, Nashville ain't exactly the perfect world. A lot of those guys are actually paying to play in those clubs down there. By time you do that, pay the hired guns, roadies, etc., you better have some pretty deep pockets.

bd

the 1st thing you have to do, if you want to be the captian, is use your name as the name of the band:
"the weatherbill band"
"weather bill and double trouble" (double trouble has been taken already)

have phone numbers for several bass players,. guitar players, keyboardists , and drummers. If one member quits call someone else up to fill the spot and don't miss a beat.

promote yourself, your name, your music and gig, gig, gig.

eventually you will develope a following (if you don't suck)...and the following will be your following.

the problem with putting together a band that is one name like "badfinger" is that you are equal members and if you break up you have to start from scratch again. when you promote your name the whole band can quit on you and you can hire some more pickers and the band is still your name.

my 2 cents

tanlith said:
Personally I just hit the local venues and listen to the talent... if I hear something I like, I stalk and kidnap 'em. If they don't agree to play in my band and sign their soul over to me and become one of my minions I just kill 'em. Though it is getting harder to hide the bodies.....

- Tanlith -

I agree with Tanilith. You need to steal them from other bands. First you need your own band. Nobodies are good for starters. Then you try to get some gigs (even underground ones) with bands you like. You are in then. If you are a top notch player, muscian/performer, they will come:) You will pull on band members from other bands like a magnet. Play the line, then hook line and sinker. Start replacing your weakest links(goodbye)
with players from other bands. Dont get emotionally involved(been there done that) cause its not much fun giving people your close to the shaft. In the old days I would give some players to many cahnces to get it together and they just got worse. Some people cant play well under stress. I had a drummer whos timing went south as his marriage went south. He was a good friend and it was hard. Its still going to be hard to put a great band together. Harder to stay together. Good luck.
I personally dont know if I could handle the stess of putting a band together and be married to a Manic wife......I like my home studio these days. I might find some session players and even do a few gigs with them, but a full band I just dont know although I have been trying lately to put one together-go figure. If I sound Bipolar, its cause Ive been exposed to so much of it lately.
Myx

Getting involved and building a reputation for yourself is probably the easiest way to do it.....if you want to call that easy. There's some great advice here. Hope all goes well, keep us poated.

bd

O.K. Captain, don't give up the ship! I am well aware of the troubled waters you are sailing through. It's been the same story for a long time and so far I don't think anyone has found a quick fix for it. I've been in and out of bands since way back in the 60s and the problem of finding dedicated members has never gotted any better in all those years. It's easy to find people to jam with, but finding the ones willing to stick it out for the long haul is a different story. I've been to Nashville and ran into some of the biggest egos in the world there. Keep looking, if you can find people with the same vision and aspirations, hang on to them, the right combination is out there somewhere. Any way, best of luck and dont give up.

Back