how do we get our stuff to digital?

minofifa

hi everybody
my band just recorded an album with a guy here, but his equipment is all analog and unfamiliar to me. We want to make a lot of changes to it but we can't really work on it because he has all of our individual tracks in analog form. I'm just wondering if there is any painfree way to take the tracks from analog to digital so i can load them up into sonar. I don't have a multi input soundcard and i really don't want to record/sample each track (that would take a long time). He said the tracks are on some sort of reel. would there be a place in my town that could do the conversion for me?

thanks.

knowning what sort of reel it is is sorta important... you would need a studio that has a digial recording ability (which most should have by now) and a tape player for whatever type of tape you have. Then they would record each track to computer ... a "real" studio should be able to do them all at once pretty easially and will probably cost you three hours and a blank hard drive.... then you will need the audio in a format you can work with... their system will probably be Mac and if your system is Windows you'll have to have them save the files on a FAT32 partition whcih has 4GB file size limits... unless OSX started writing NTFS which I don't think it has... and I'd format the harddrive beforehand to save the time...

This will probably sound mean.... but I am amaized you made it to post production without even knowing what format you recored on... you guys are asking to be taken for a ride...

thanks for the advice.

Well the first half of our cd was done digitally with a computer and i was pretty knowledable about taht, but the other half we did analog because we won a free session with this guy from winning a battle of the bnads hwere. I think the quality sounds pretty good, but i'm just not that knowledgable with analog gear, as i have never used it.

so basiclaly i just need to borrow the tape from this guy, then find a studio that can play said tape, and have it run into their A/D converters? Then i'll just bring along my firewire drive and put it on therre.

minofifa said:
thanks for the advice.

Well the first half of our cd was done digitally with a computer and i was pretty knowledable about taht, but the other half we did analog because we won a free session with this guy from winning a battle of the bnads hwere. I think the quality sounds pretty good, but i'm just not that knowledgable with analog gear, as i have never used it.

so basiclaly i just need to borrow the tape from this guy, then find a studio that can play said tape, and have it run into their A/D converters? Then i'll just bring along my firewire drive and put it on therre.

good luck...

Back