how do u like to record guitars??

Actually right on dead centre is a bit thin sounding. I get a much better sound about 1 to 2 inches of centre and pointing slightly towards the outside of the cone. sort of perpendicular to the cardboard so to speak. Thats for a 12inch celestion in a 4 x 12 cab. The sound that comes of the centre bubble is a little mixed up. You want the waves coming of the cone.
But I agree a room plays little part in close micing a cab.

Scott.

Not too long ago, i had delisions that an AKG414tlii would sound better on distorted guitar than a 57 and thought of the 57 as a totally inferior mic. Nowadays at the ranch, ive been using the 57 all the time and i even like it better than the 421. I guess there are reasons that alot of people say 5757575757. Not to say i still wont try any mic.

For all you mic fans

You want Guitar that will kick butt…here it is

Marshall 100Watt head (50W not as much fun :) ) into 2 cabinets (4x12). Turn cabinets so they face each and are about 6” apart. Place a mic (Royer R-122 is nice) with a figure 8 pattern in between (centered) the two cabinets.

Now wait you’re not done. You have to wire one of the cabinets out of phase. The easiest way to do this is is to make an adapter. Get a ¼” jack & plug and reverse the tip & ring wiring.

Crank up the amp….you’re a rock star!

I'll stick my Ampeg V4 stack outside so I can crank it and set a couple of mics at varying distances for a heavier sound, and play with combining them listening over the monitors while I am doing so....(cordless setup works ok too for me also...a little latency, but not bad). I also have used little pignose amps for ok results as well as the little Marshall combo amps. I have an old Fender bassman head with a pair of D120 speakers, but it likes being cranked too. That said, I really like my J-station...more so than my POD. They are ALWAYS plugged into an input in the board, so it is an easy matter of just plugging in to do something quickly...and/or late at night, etc. Then there is the Leslie cabinet...!! oh...and the Roland GR33...

I have best luck with the sm57, an re20 or a m160. I basically don't use any other mics except those when mic'd up close with the exception of some room mic...and the "infamous":eek: mxl2001 actually works fine for me in that situation.

My Bedroom >American Fat Strat > SM 57 > Behringer Ultragain >
RME Multiface 24Bit/88.1 Khz > Sonar 1.3 . Sounds Awesome!
Jason

After years of frustration that came from not being able to get the thick sound I desired out of my distorted electric guitar tracks, I began miking my giutar coming out of small amps. And then I will often double it or triple it or even record 12 tracks--compressing it over and over until I get it to sound thick thick thick. Simetimes I use a compressor going into the board, sometimes afterward, in the mix.

The key for me is the small amp. I can get a Fender Champ to distort on its own and then I don't disrupt the neighborhood and I get a real organic distortion at the same time. And in the mix, these tracks don't eat up as much space, which makes more room for little riffs and girls going "la la la" in the background.

I always mic the guitar amp, I never go direct. Going direct isn't a sin or anything, but for the kind of sound I like, which is more of a classic rock tone, it just makes more sense for me to go out an amp and into a mic.

It's just one way to go and it gets a certain sound that may or may not be what you want. I certainly record electric guitar in other ways as well, but that's my favorite way to do it.

Back