have to use to get distorted mono sounding vocals,
you hear it on a lot of grunge songs (often at the
beginning or in a bridge.)

I've experimented with different distortion software but
I can't seem to get it right.
Any suggestions on what to use and how to set it up
would be very helpful
Ty...

Try lo-fi plugins... Alot of compression. Maybe cut out lo's and hi's.
Maybe try amp-simulators.

If you want to go really extreme try vocoders with a white noise input...

What exactly do you mean? An example? You mean the phone-kinda vocals?

Steinberg has made a compressor - "ME compressor" - 3 bands, I have succesfully made some distorted vocals with that one.
bizz

One of the things I meant.... Multiband compression, using that to cut out lows and highs... Gives kindof a lofi small speaker about to break down kinda sound...

We used -I think- a focusrite (red?) plugin a while ago to make an intro of a song sound as if it came out of a small radio... Think this was multiband compression too.

Found it on the web... It was just a 'High-Quality, Multi-Band Equalizer for Pro Tools', focusrite d2, set to VERY extreme settings...

I've done pretty well with EQ, (take out all the lows and highs, leaving a fairly narrow band). Then add some guitar fx for distortion.

Queue

get a Shure mic, cup your hands around it and sing in a little hole you make with your hands.

Most of the distorted vocals of which you speak are mostly done in this maner. Take a direct line from your vocal signal path and run it into a guitar amp. Put a mic on it and record that onto another track. With the guitar amp you can sucessfully dial in the amount of distotion that you want.

A while back, my wife, bought me a miniature, battery powered Marshall amplifier which actually works. If you have one of these or any mini-amp. Plug your microphone, (hi-Z) into the amp. Put the amp in a box. Put your recording mic in the box with the mini-amp. Put a lid on the box. Then sing.

BTW. This also gets some raunchy guitar sounds.

LOL Sonic - that's a good one. Reminds me of the good old PigNose. You'd be amazed how many known raunchy solo's have been recorded with those!

If your looking for that distorted phone type effect that you hear on the radio etc I get the EXACT same sound by placing a highpass filter and eqing... OR if you have the Native powerpacks there is a great preset in the band eqs called Telephone.

Now that we've got that down, how 'bout this?

Anyone know a way to do that "grab the tape reel" stop sound?

-one catch-

Using a digital multitracking proggie, like Vegas...?

Queue

Re: Now that we've got that down, how 'bout this?

Queue said:
Anyone know a way to do that "grab the tape reel" stop sound?

I would try using the gliding pitch option in Sound Forge
bizz

Wow ShakesTheClown, you can get that effect with EQ? Damn and we used to go down the road from the studio to a phone box and phone the studio.

Only joking. We used to get that effect by just EQing on the desk.

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but if you're looking for a telephone type sound, modern telephones sample at a 4000 Hz if I'm not mistaken. Probably 8 bits or less too.

A similar sound is of course achievable by using a filter/EQ.

A friend of mine once got a wild guitar sound by recording a guitar part and then playing it back at a ridiculous level on his walkman, placing the earphones in a confined space and re-recording it!

Ch'oh!

Matthew

ZZ Top wanted to re-create a sound they once heard on the radio, which was a transmission of a small Mexican radio station.
So, they went to Mexico, paid the station for airtime, sang the song on-air, which was recorded in the studio in the US. I forgot which song it was.

Just thought I'd drop that one on you, in case you're desperate :)

WOW

I didn't expect this much response
to my question, there are a lot of
interesting things to try out.

Sending the vocals thought a guitar
amp sounds like a good idea I will
try that and experimenting a bit more
with a EQ (I did try it with a EQ at first
but I just haven't got that much experience
yet) going to Mexico sounds like fun as
well but living in Germany I would probably
be better off spending the money on