How do they do that?

nbffan

Hey guys, I'm look for a specific drum sound for one of my originals. If you are fimiliar with the Metallica tune "Unforgiven", the snare at the very beginning has a distant sound and maybe alot of reverb. The snare almost sounds like it is played at a far distance although I know that's not the case. Does anyone know how they produce that kind of sound? Thanks in advance for your help.

Mic it above the snare, below the snare, away from the snare, near the snare, and trigger it to a sample that was recorded from a distance, then blend to taste?

They had over 20 mics on that drums set. The drums were in a very large, live sounding room. They actually didn't use any reverb on the drums, it was all room mics. If you listen carefully, you can hear the gates opening and closing on most of the songs.

And for those of us who want that sound, and don't have 20 mics......
Run it through a reverb, and sweep the wet/dry controls. :D

Atterion said:
And for those of us who want that sound, and don't have 20 mics......
Run it through a reverb, and sweep the wet/dry controls. :D
Most of the time, you would put a reverb on an aux send set at 100% wet. Then you adjust the level of the return. In order to get that sound, you will also have to send the output of the reverb and the drums to a buss and and compress it with an 1176-type compressor set on stun.

Farview said:
Most of the time, you would put a reverb on an aux send set at 100% wet. Then you adjust the level of the return. In order to get that sound, you will also have to send the output of the reverb and the drums to a buss and and compress it with an 1176-type compressor set on stun.
Yup, and you could even send it to several busses each with seperate EQ's, reverbs and compressors to simulate the use of several mics.

Back