How Do These 2 Compare?

Krazy8

Hey guys. My Behringer UB1002 mixer recently bit the big one and I am considering buying a mic preamp to replace my mixer. I noticed the Studio Projects VTB-1 Mic Preamp and am wondering how this compares to the IMP's that the Behringer mixer had? Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Krazy8 said:
Hey guys. My Behringer UB1002 mixer recently bit the big one and I am considering buying a mic preamp to replace my mixer. I noticed the Studio Projects VTB-1 Mic Preamp and am wondering how this compares to the IMP's that the Behringer mixer had? Any input will be greatly appreciated!

I wouldn't pick either of those, personally, from their reputation. Some low-end pres I would tend to suggest (mostly from their reputation) include Peavey's PV series (which I have and really like), just about anything built by Yamaha (of which I've used many here and there), the DMP-3....

The VTB-1 might be good for adding an additional sound quality, but I wouldn't think it would be a good choice as your only pre. As for the Behri... their first one smoked, which is probably a good reason not to buy a second. :D

Totally agree, you shouldn't go near behringer for pre's, once i got rid of my behringer mixer and bought a mackie vlz pro, i couldn't believe the difference in sound, The highs are dead in behringer mixers, not too shure about their outboard pre's, though i'd expect them to be very similar. Yamaha mixers are not very popular for some reason, i think they deserve a little more credit than what they get.

Thanks guys. I'll look around for some other mic pre's in the price category. And yeah, I'll stay away from behringer : P haha

Krazy8 said:
Thanks guys. I'll look around for some other mic pre's in the price category. And yeah, I'll stay away from behringer : P haha

Stay VERY far away from Behringer crap!

A while ago, I was shopping around for something similar. These were recommended by people here on the BBS:

M-Audio Audiobuddy
DMP3

or, if you're looking for a mixer

Yamaha MG-series (I bought the MG10/2, and I'm very happy with it)
Peavey PV-series
Soundcraft, some of the cheaper boards

Hope this helps,

Joepie

yep yep. if you're looking for a new mixer, i'd go with the yamaha MG - i'm using the 12/4, and i use it for everything. :P

Andy

The Yamaha's look pretty nice, I might get the one Andy suggested... As for the audio-buddy, my brother has that one and I wasn't impressed with it that much, my behringer sounded better imo. I'll keep looking, though. thanks for the help guys!

For what it is worth....sometimes the IMP on the behringer can sound pretty ok. But that is just me. There is much better in the price range though

Well, in the time that the behringer was working, I was impressed with the quality it produced... For only $80, it was money well invested!

You should definitely look into the Peavey PV series. IMHO, the pres are -slightly- cleaner than my FirePod, and make my M-Audio FW1814's pres sound pretty harsh by comparison.

The Yamaha MG series is good, but the Peavey slaughters it. The Peavey has slightly better EIN (equivalent input noise), much better THD, better crosstalk ratings, and---if I read the specs correctly---a whopping 19 dB more raw preamp gain. :D

Yamaha:
EIN: -128dBu
Crosstalk: -70 dB
THD (pres): < 0.0050
60 dB to master out
44 dB to insert

Peavey:
EIN: 129dBu
Crosstalk: -80 dB channel to channel, -75 dB L to R main output
THD (pres): < 0.0007
83 dB to master out
63 dB to insert on the Peavey.

I love the Peavey on my ribbon. :)

Last edited:
orson198305 said:
The highs are dead in behringer mixers, not too shure about their outboard pre's

i have an ultra gain pro and it is the brightest pre i own.
not in a good way in a very sizzley, sibelent way.

Back