How do I tune a 12 string acoustic guitar?

Sleddog72 said:
heh that is cool because what i've been doing is i've been tuning down a full step and capo'ing up a fret. so basically im a half step down. heh. but i also have a deep voice, so the full step is great. i might try your trick though, tuning down a full step can get a little sloppy sometimes. a half step should ease the pressure off the soundboard, no?

I have had my Fender for about 15 years and have always tuned to standard tuning A=440Hz and have not had a problem with any associated stress with the string tension. However a half step down in the tuning does obviously reduce string tension and it is slightly easier to play. I tend to only strum or pick chords with the 12 string, the odd melody line here and there but mainly sitting around with a few mates strumming tunes or as a backing track for instrumentals I record.

Kev

:)

Just a quick note, since no one else mentioned it....Have you ever tried the"offset" tuning thing? Tune all the standard strings normally, then tune all the octave strings just a hair flat (or sharp). It gives it a nice "chimey" kind of natural chorus effect.

goldtopchas said:
Just a quick note, since no one else mentioned it....Have you ever tried the"offset" tuning thing? Tune all the standard strings normally, then tune all the octave strings just a hair flat (or sharp). It gives it a nice "chimey" kind of natural chorus effect.

That sounds interesting....I may just try that! :)

Back