How do i start recording?

C

Captnawesomee

Sorry Im really new to this stuff:confused: okay so..

Im trying to Record Guitar and Vocals with my Focusrite ISA One Digital with the ADC card, Preamp which is this
-->

-----------------------------------------------
Front​
focusrite_announce_isa_one_digital1245.jpg

Rear
focusriteisaone02rear_l.jpg

------------------------------------------------

Im going to connect my Rode NT2-A Condender Microphone through XLR cables into my ISA one and connect my Taylor 200 Series 214CE Grand Auditorium Acoustic-Electric Guitar into it as well.

RODE NT2-A ---->
--------------- Focusrite ISA One Digital
Taylor Acoistic -->

---------------------------------------------------------

My question is how do you connect this to my Laptop with Pro Tools?

I own a Pavilion dv7-4065dx Entertainment Notebook

This is my interface i have is the Pro-tools Mbox 4 which is this --->
protoolsmbox-storypic.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------

How do I Connect the Focusrite ISA One Digital to the Pro-tools Mbox 4, useing the advanced AD/C Card or Digital Output card of the Foucesrite into the M-Box 4 so that i can use this interface to connect USB into my high end laptop? WHAT Cords do i need to connect these two togeather? and where exaclty do i connect them on the hardware?

RODE NT2-A (XLR) ---->
--------------- Focusrite ISA One Digital-- (how do u connect?) Mbox 4 ---- (USB) Laptop
Taylor Acoistic (TRS Cable)-->

and from the Mbox into my Laptop with a software called Pro-Tools

Please help im a noob at Home recording thanks

Im trying to Record Guitar and Vocals with my Focusrite ISA One Digital with the ADC card, Preamp which is this
-->

Front​

Rear

Im going to connect my Rode NT2-A Condender Microphone through XLR cables into my ISA one and connect my Taylor 200 Series 214CE Grand Auditorium Acoustic-Electric Guitar into it as well.

RODE NT2-A ---->
Taylor Acoistic -->

How do I Connect the Focusrite ISA One Digital to the Pro-tools Mbox 4, useing the advanced AD/C Card or Digital Output card of the Foucesrite into the M-Box 4 so that i can use this interface to connect USB into my high end laptop? WHAT Cords do i need to connect these two togeather? and where exaclty do i connect them on the hardware?

RODE NT2-A (XLR) ---->
--------------- Focusrite ISA One Digital-- (how do u connect?) Mbox 4 ---- (USB) Laptop

What i think is connect the focustrite through the inserts at the back of your mbox 4 and the after go to preference in pro tools? might help

Bravo, Cap'n !

That's got to be the best, neatest, most directional opening post I think I've yet to see !

Yo Cap'n! You have a serious compatibility issue. The Focusrite only has optical and AES S/PDIF output (no coaxial), and the Avid Mbox 4 only has coaxial S/PDIF input, no optical.
All may not be lost, though, because AES/S/PDIF and coaxial S/PDIF are basically the same format, but with different connectors. I would email Focusrite and ask them how you would connect the AES/S/PDIF output to RCA coaxial S/PDIF inputs. There may be a simple solution (or not). Good luck.-Richie

Yo Cap'n! You have a serious compatibility issue. The Focusrite only has optical and AES S/PDIF output (no coaxial), and the Avid Mbox 4 only has coaxial S/PDIF input, no optical.
All may not be lost, though, because AES/S/PDIF and coaxial S/PDIF are basically the same format, but with different connectors. I would email Focusrite and ask them how you would connect the AES/S/PDIF output to RCA coaxial S/PDIF inputs. There may be a simple solution (or not). Good luck.-Richie

Well The Digital Output Card Provides S/PDIF format output via a 9 pin D type connector on the rear panel (the full rage of sample rates up to 192kHz are available)

On the user guide it says

"Use the included 9 pin to RCA cable to connect the ISA one to the RCA S/PDIF input on another device"

and the Mbox 3 the one i have, has an RCA S/PDIF Input and out put. I think its possible, my laptop is in repair so i cant test this out, but with this do you guys think its possible

ISA One Digital Output (S/SDIF) (9 pin to RCA Cable Male) --> to the rear Mbox 3 S/PDIF

Would this work

focusriteisaone02rearl.jpg

protoolsmboxstorypic.jpg

Yay! I was right! Yes, you connect the 9 pin S/PDIF out to the RCA S/PDIF in. Make sure the sampling rates/bit depths are the same. The computer will clock off of the Mbox, making sure that Protools is recognizing the Mbox USB as the source, and you are in business. The Focusrite acts as the preamp and A-D convertor, and the Mbox as the protools interface. Set the S/PDIF switch on the Focusrite for "2 pin", and it will transfer the left and right inputs on the Focusrite to 2 separate channels by the same RCA connector. Then you configure the track I/O in protools so that tracks 1 & 2 are patched to S/PDIF 1&2 (Left and Right). The only thing I wasn't sure about was whether there *was* such a thing as a 9-pin to RCA cable, and that they would talk to each other. They should, in theory, but it's something I've never done. I bet the Focusrite has better preamps *and* better A-D conversion than the Mbox. It sounds like you win.-Richie

Yay! I was right! Yes, you connect the 9 pin S/PDIF out to the RCA S/PDIF in. Make sure the sampling rates/bit depths are the same. The computer will clock off of the Mbox, making sure that Protools is recognizing the Mbox USB as the source, and you are in business. The Focusrite acts as the preamp and A-D convertor, and the Mbox as the protools interface. Set the S/PDIF switch on the Focusrite for "2 pin", and it will transfer the left and right inputs on the Focusrite to 2 separate channels by the same RCA connector. Then you configure the track I/O in protools so that tracks 1 & 2 are patched to S/PDIF 1&2 (Left and Right). The only thing I wasn't sure about was whether there *was* such a thing as a 9-pin to RCA cable, and that they would talk to each other. They should, in theory, but it's something I've never done. I bet the Focusrite has better preamps *and* better A-D conversion than the Mbox. It sounds like you win.-Richie

check mate :cool:

So this Would this be the best way to record useing the Mbox as an interface for Pro-Tools and ISA one as the Preamp giving me a better recording sound?

and thanks for everyone that helped, this was better then the foucerite FAQ which just brought me to there Q&A page :)

That's got to be the best, neatest, most directional opening post I think I've yet to see !

I'm certainly jealous......I can barely name all my various pieces of equipment! There's no way I could ask an intelligent question (or post the equally impressive pic) about its "plug-in'ed-ness"

i was gonna say press the red button and play at the same time, but i might shut up

theres a novelty :)

We with the red buttons do our 'thing' too, you know......

i was gonna say press the red button and play at the same time, but i might shut up

theres a novelty :)
Oh, we've gone up in the world since the days of the red button pressed simultaneously with 'play'. Now we have footswitches !

I'm not familiar with the 9-pin AES/SPDIF connectors. (deprived childhood :( )

I've seen them on gear I was looking at... I have the RCA type S/PDIF jacks on my gear.

Is there a standard pin configuration on the 9-pin jacks so one could make an adapter or does somebody sell an adapter?

-->

Front​

Rear

RODE NT2-A ---->
Taylor Acoistic -->

RODE NT2-A (XLR) ---->

Hi hope you've got an idea how to connect the the Rode NT2-A------>Focusrite ISA One -------> and your MBox3

I wanted to know how is the SOUND of the RODE NT2-A paired with the Focusrite ISA One. Please let me know I am planning to get them the Rode NT2-A and the Focusrite ISA One.

Thanks

Back