how do i set up the levels

voodoovelcro

my home studio is finaly ready for recording and i'm not sure how to set up levels on my mixingboard.... it's a really small behringer eurorack mx 802 A ...

i'm only using one chanel ( mickrophone )... what do i do with "gain"? what do i do with that little 75 Mhz pointer and that switch button? should i go up with master level and go down with gain or is it vice versa? how loud should be my output signal?

somebody, show me the light, PLEAAAASE !

Voodoo

Did your Behringer come with a manual? www.mackie.com has similar mixers and their manuals have great diagrams and instructions.

Basically you put the fader to UNITY or the 0 marking and turn the GAIN up until your signal is peaking right around the 0 on the level meter and you should be pretty close.

Are you recording to analog tape? Or analog tape using digital data, or HD?

I'm not familiar with the console you are using, but I suspect that 75Mhz switch is a low Q cut for rumble and other low frequency vibration.

i see

you're right, it's 75 hz ( 16 DB/ oct., or something like that ) and i don't know what it's for or when to use it.... also, right below that switch i have a gain knob that has a little 75 Hz mark, i guess i'm supposed to turn the knob to that point whenever i turn that little switch ON.... i don't know...

i didn't get the manual, because that Behringer was the last one in store, it's an 8 track and it was on sale for $49 in guitar center... i'm using NUENDO recording software and i have m-audio 2946 soundcard, in pentium 4, 1.6 GHz, if that makes any difference....

i JUST found out about some DIRECT BOX and impendence matching tranformers... i don't have any of that.... i micked my guitar amp, run the microphone straight into my mixingboard and connected it to the soundcard... should i go to the Radio Shack and get one of those transformers?

Well it sure sounds like a low cut pad. It may be adjustable with the knob to sweep say, from 55Hz to 105Hz after the button is pressed.

I'm just guessing here mind you. I don't have a clue about this board.

Do what Tex says to set your levels.

DO NOT exceed 0VU recording to a computer. I don't know too much about computer recording, but that is one thing I know that is a BIG no-no.

Tape on the other hand...well that's a different story for another time.

It is a high pass filter (or low cut pad). It is NOT sweepable, but fixed at 16 db/octave below 75 hz. (if you cut everything below 75 megahertz, you wouldn't be left with anything audible).

You use this to get rid of mic stand rumble, trucks or airplanes passing in the distance, reducing proximity effect, or your furnace cutting in.

Re: i see

voodoovelcro said:

i JUST found out about some DIRECT BOX and impendence matching tranformers... i don't have any of that.... i micked my guitar amp, run the microphone straight into my mixingboard and connected it to the soundcard... should i go to the Radio Shack and get one of those transformers?

If you are using a mic on your amp, you don't need a direct box. If you wanted to try recording your guitar by plugging it right into the mixing board, you might get a better result with a direct box. Usually the way you are doing it (mic'ing an amp) sounds better.

If you decide to get a direct box, there are inexpensive ones by companies like Rolls, Whirlwind, and Behringer. Try a real music store, (even something like Mars or Guitar Center) before Radio Shack for a better variety of selections and prices.

Back