How do I reduce background hiss in Pro Audio 9?

Faust

I guess the obvious answer would be to mess with my line-in level, but I don't think that has solved the problem for me. I get hiss when I use my guitars distortion of course, but I also get it when I put it on clean. Any advice? This happens while I'm playing the guitar, not just when I stop playing.

Do you have single coil pickups?They are notorious for noise,especially in conjunction with a standard monitor.
Let us know your signal chain going into your computer,including what type of soundcard and maybe we can help you a bit more.

This has nothing to do with the software BTW.

I use a Guitar(with humbucker pups)-Peavey Max 100-computer. I have an SB live! card, I think it might be a cord now that I think of it, but any advice would still be appreciated.

You need some sort of pre-amp.

Your SB card's inputs are designed to handle consumer electronic levels which are totally different to the line levels and format of the signal coming out of your guitar.

I would look at getting a decent sound card that has either variable level inputs or a decent sound card and a pre-amp.

And I would still turn the monitor off to record.

:) Q.

Back