How do I record more than 2 tracks?

lpdeluxe

The Precision Bass Guy
I've been using CEP for 4 years, and until now I guess I never recorded more than 2 tracks at once. I have a Tascam TM-D1000 digital mixer which allows me to select "Direct Out" which means that each channel is directed to the corresponding TDIF channel (that is, Channel 1 is routed through Channel 1, Channel 2 is routed through Channel 2, and so on) up to a possible 8 channels. The TDIF is converted via a box to ADAT lightpipe, which is also 8 channels. This goes into a Terratec EWS88D card, which allows 8 channel full duplex recording and playback. I have selected the 4 pairs (Wave 1/2, Wave 3/4 etc) for I&O in Options/Device Order/Recording [Playback] Devices. The playback works as it should: in fact, just to make sure it was, I routed 8 tracks of a finished mix to 1L, 1R, 2L, 2R etc and all played back on the separate mixer channels I had sent them to.

SO! If I plug a mic into Channel 1 of the mixer, and select the Channel 1's In as 1L (in CEP), it records. If I do the same with Ch 2 (1R in CEP) it records. If I plug the mic into Channel 3, and select 2L in CEP for that channel...nothin'. Same for Channels 4, 5 & 6, (2R, 3L & 3R) which is as far as I got.

Anyone have any suggestions? I remember having used 3L & other inputs a couple of months ago before my computer melted down... But there's no change in my signal routing or software or equipment.

Now I'm beginning to believe it's a soundcard issue. I hooked up my mic preamp which has digital ADAT outs and (even though it's only 2 channels) will transmit data on all 8. Same thing: Mr Pro will record on 1L or 1R, but nada beyond....At least that eliminates the mixer, which is rapidly becoming a dinosaur.;)

I'm positive a lot of people here will be able to answer this question. Of course, I'm not one of those people, lol...I'm like you...never previously recorded more than 2 tracks at a time. When I need to, I trust this thread will illuminate me, lol. :D

I kinda' copied your response tongue in cheek, but the difference is that YOUR post actually contained some useful information. :D Mine was just kind of a bump and a way to add to me email reminder list, lol

This only works in multitrack, so I've heard. I've never recorded more than 2 at once myself. But anyways, check the Options/Device order and Options/Device properties to make sure that each channel of your sound card is available. Then in mutlitrack, click the Rec 1 button and choose the source you want for that track. repeat for each source you want to assign to a track.

Thanks for the input, Mr Dakota, but I have done that already. I have 2 of these soundcards and I think I'll swap 'em out to see if the other one acts the same way.

To update: I finally got a response from Terratec, and they seem to think it's my moral failings (I don't have software that supports ASIO) that are at fault. I sent a request for clarification & will share any news.

Here's the answer: Adobe Audition will ONLY record through the EWS88D card when Options/Settings/Input Devices has "Try As WDM" unchecked. This must be done for EACH PAIR of inputs or whichever pair has not been unchecked will not pass audio into AA. I now can set my digital mixer to "Direct Out" which no longer limits me to 4-buss recording (I can now record separately on each channel, for 8 tracks) and if I add in the second sound card I should be able to record on an additional 2 tracks through the ART preamp.

Gee, this is so exciting, it almost made me happy.

lpdeluxe said:
Here's the answer: Adobe Audition will ONLY record through the EWS88D card when Options/Settings/Input Devices has "Try As WDM" unchecked. This must be done for EACH PAIR of inputs or whichever pair has not been unchecked will not pass audio into AA. I now can set my digital mixer to "Direct Out" which no longer limits me to 4-buss recording (I can now record separately on each channel, for 8 tracks) and if I add in the second sound card I should be able to record on an additional 2 tracks through the ART preamp.

Gee, this is so exciting, it almost made me happy.
Thanks for posting back. You know, I ran into a big problem with CEP awhile back, and the first thing everybody over at syntrillium told me to try was to either "check or uncheck the 'Try As WDM' option." It didn't solve my particular problem, but it's apparent that the option causes much confusion and consternation.

Maybe they threw that in there so you'd have something to do while the system was fixing itself....

Maybe there IS something to this ASIO thing, ya think maybe?

Back