How do I record a mariachi band?

flapo1

As some of you may already know, I am mexican. And I am setting up a tiny studio. I am not shure if this is going to happend, but there's a lot of chances that I will eventually record a Mariachi band, whose instruments are:

Trumpets - 2
Violins - 2 or 3
Guitars - 1 or 2
Strange acoustic bass (called "tololoche")- 1
Every band member sings background vocals

That's it (more or less)

Any of you guys could give me an advice (at least theoretical) of how to record and set up mikes for them?

I'll be thankful.

The mariachi bands I've seen seem to work really well as dynamic, cohesive whole (they position themselves in the front when they solo, effectively use dynamics, etc.), so I think it would probably be best to record the whole band with a stereo pair of high quality condensors. I would give that a try before you individually mic'd and tracked everyone.

Thanks, pal!

I thought no one would answer!
I'll give it a try when I get the chance. But I think the violins should get a close mike because they are a lot less louder than trumpets, for example.

"Every band member sings background vocals"

Even the trumpet players? Damn, their good!!!
Where's the Vihuela? No Vihuela, no Mariachi my man, Ajua!!! :)

Great fun, guys! :D

Buck: I'd rather have tacos and Coca-Cola rather than a Modelo (well, a "Modelo" like Pamela Anderson would be nice!)

Hornet: That white stuff is called Pulque (pronounce it "pool-keh")

Lucho: Sure! Didn't you know that mexican trumpet players can sing and play trumpet at the same time? We mexicans are awesome ;) !. Believe it or not, some small mariachis don't use vihuela, and use a second nylon-strung guitar instead. And some use harps, marimbas, guiros, etc. BTW, your name is the same as the bass player in my band! Talk about coincidence... :p

Ola Flapo De Uno:

Yo quiero musica de Latino. [Excuse my Spanish Grammar but I sure am glad I can speak a few words since the crew at the golf where I work is Hispanic. They are great; however, not musicians.

Mariachi music is vibrant and explosive and happy and sad. So, record it that way.

El Vespa Verde

flapo1 said:
Trumpets - 2
Violins - 2 or 3
Guitars - 1 or 2
Strange acoustic bass (called "tololoche")- 1
Every band member sings background vocals

That's it (more or less)

Any of you guys could give me an advice (at least theoretical) of how to record and set up mikes for them?

I am NOT going to mention an specific model of Mic's for the job but the positions and way to record them in an effective way.

Trumpets: Absolutely each one with its own mic, hard panned to opposite sides. Try to set a -10 db pad for them.

Violins: Set a pair of air mic's in a XY position so you can grab some ambience of the recording hall. Not recommended to record each one separately unless there is a LEAD violin.

Guitars: Set one mic in front of each guitar in a manner you can get adjacents guitars signal to get them more as in a group instead of separate signals. If there is a Vihuela, try to catch it apart from the guitars since it always play a lead role in a Mariachi tune. Try some soft compression just to get an even signal all the way long.

Tololoche: Its own mic and channel, using some compression since it uses to be very low sounding.

For the choral voices, just use some ambience mic's. It will sound great and set some stereo panning in the mix since those mics will also get a lot of the main signal of the instruments too.

I hope this work for you.
For more questions, ya know where to go ;)

Gus Lozada
Moderator of http://www.MusicPlayer.com/NuestroForo

Last edited:
Back