How Do I Monitor a Vocal Return Signal....

scarboro78

NYC HIP-HOP AMBASSADOR
... without hearing the original?

In other words, I want to mix my vocals through my Avalon however I dont know how to monitor the incoming signal without hearing the original. I can get the signal in and out but not without hearing both at the same time.

Any suggestions?

monitor button...looks like a speaker on your track...click it off...or on ...depending on how your prefernces are set.

I don't know what an 'Avalon' is. I also don't know what kind of soundcard you're using.

But uh, is the problem that you want to hear ONLY the processed vocal through cubase? But right now you're hearing the processed as well as the original dry signal?

For me, I use an m-audio card. So I simply open up the m-audio mixer interface and mute the incoming signal (H/W In 1/2) . It only mutes it from coming through your monitors, but it's still sent through cubase. So you only hear the processed signal. You also have to have the monitor button on in Cubase for it to work.

warrengtype said:
I don't know what an 'Avalon' is. I also don't know what kind of soundcard you're using.

But uh, is the problem that you want to hear ONLY the processed vocal through cubase? But right now you're hearing the processed as well as the original dry signal?

For me, I use an m-audio card. So I simply open up the m-audio mixer interface and mute the incoming signal (H/W In 1/2) . It only mutes it from coming through your monitors, but it's still sent through cubase. So you only hear the processed signal. You also have to have the monitor button on in Cubase for it to work.

Thanks for the advice Warren.. I didn't even think about messing with my sound cards' mixer. I'll try that tonight.. Thanks!

PS: Avalon 737 = pre/compressor

How to connect Mackie Ctrl to computer......

Carter said:
listing equipment.....

Question: What are you using to connect the Mackie Control to your computer. Is it the M-Audio 2496 thru the midi (or does it even have midi)? The 2496 only has 4 imputs.......are you bypassing that with the Mackie and going into Cubase thus allowing you to record the 8 inputs of the Mackie?

I have been using an old Tascam 428 for years and Cubase I want to upgrade, but have been confused with the Mackie not being an interface too. I need to know more about what is needed in the way of different interfaces with the Mackie.....other wise I am looking at the M-Audio Projectmix ctrl surface which has the interface included.

Thanks.....Choctaw

choctaw said:
Carter said:
listing equipment.....

Question: What are you using to connect the Mackie Control to your computer. Is it the M-Audio 2496 thru the midi (or does it even have midi)? The 2496 only has 4 imputs.......are you bypassing that with the Mackie and going into Cubase thus allowing you to record the 8 inputs of the Mackie?

I have been using an old Tascam 428 for years and Cubase I want to upgrade, but have been confused with the Mackie not being an interface too. I need to know more about what is needed in the way of different interfaces with the Mackie.....other wise I am looking at the M-Audio Projectmix ctrl surface which has the interface included.

Thanks.....Choctaw

You have to remember that the Mackie is only a control surface and the only connections is Midi in and out, the 24/96 has 2 ins, 2 outs, SPDIF and midi, I just hook the midi up to the master card (since I have two) and in cubase under VST connections it shows 4 ins, 4 outs 2 SPDIF, and 32channels of midi. (Midi 1 & 2) so I can record 6 channels (4 analog 2 digital) and 16 channels of midi.

Hope that helps. ;)

Back