How do I make my Les Paul white again?

Phil G

About 5 years ago I bought a Les Paul. It was a lovely pure white colour. After a while when it started to look not so pure anymore I started thinking to myself "why didn't I buy a black one?". Anyway, now it's gone from a not so pure looking white to an almost yellowy colour in some places. Has anyone got any ideas how I can get my guitar back to the lovely white that it once was, preferably a method with a low chance of cocking it up and ruining the guitar?

Phil: is it yellowing from age right through the nitro-cellulose finish, or from sweat (more superficially) underneath the area where your playing arm rests on it? There may be hope if it's the latter: a product called Novus 2.

Phil

The yellowing of which you speak is highly prized - like the mellowing of a fine red wine or the patina of a fine piece of Regency period furniture, it imparts a look of distinction to a well-played instrument.

Enjoy!

foo

Obviously, this is a prime example of the problems our country faces with race mixing. Stop playing any Hendrix or James Brown with it immediately and contact your a local Aryan Nation or KKK group! They can probably help show it the way back.....

JK

Or, you could send it to me. I'll be happy to keep it out of sight while you get a brand new one... :D

I agree with Foo. This isn't a defect; it's the nature of nitrocellulose finish. Your axe is going vintage on you...

I'd call the colour changing from white to yellowy in just 5 years a defect. God I wish I'd got a black one. I mean white just doesn't go with metal anyway. Maybe I should part x it for a Les Paul custom in black. Now they look cool.

How does this guitar sound?

How does it play?

Oh! ... Wait a second ...

It's how it looks that counts!

Well, duh!

;)

foo

tone and playabilty is only half of the guitar, the other is how cool I look with it straped on looking in the mirror doing my rockstar looks!

I agree. The look is at least 50% of the appeal. For he who says it matters not, take a key and scape it hard and repeatedly across the front of your guitar's body.

I dare ya.

(no, don't do this, the thought alone hurts me and I don't even own your guitar)

Back