How do I make a click track?

ChristopherDawn

I'm a midi moron. I have no idea what I'm doing.

I want to make a click track out of say, a wav I have of a snare drum.

How would I do that?

Just drag the sample into the track pane,and enable groove clip looping.
You may have to edit the original clip so the function will work properly.
You could use the session drummer and a DXI too.

You could use piano roll view (assuming you use SONAR) then copy and paste let´s say 12 measures of cowbell or a rimshot, it´s up to you. This is very complicated to me that´s why I prefer Fruityloops, I setup the tempo, then pick one rim or cowbell sample and make a pattern with many repetions as I need. Then export it to wav and import the audio into SONAR. Another way could be using Fruity as DXi you could sync it with SONAR, make the pattern with the repetitions you need.

Hope this help

TS

1) Set the Snap to 1/4-bar (every whole note)
2) Paste the sample 4 times, every 1/4 bar.
3) Bounce to clip
4) Enable groove clip, and drag till your hearts delight™.

:D

The metronome seems to be a really easy way to do it, it even has a tap in speed thing, which is great. Anybody use the metronome as a click track?

Well of course the metronome will make a click track. That's what it's designed for.

However, in Sonar it will only work if your sound card has MIDI synth capabilities or you have an external MIDI source. IOW, you can't use it with DXi's. This is a problem with most better sound cards which don't have internal synths.

What sound card do you use?

I have a delta 1010. Will that work?

I tried inserting the Cyclone DXi on my 'click track' track and they have a sync to sonar thing? Can I use the click track, tap in the beat, and then use that with like a cowbell sample in Cyclone?

ChristopherDawn said:
I have a delta 1010. Will that work?

No, the Delta 101 has no internal synth either.

Not sure I understand the second part of your question. Why would you want to tap the beat, when you can just program it exactly in Piano Roll View. Check out TamaSabian's approach. Do one measure in PRV and then copy and paste it for the length of the song.

If you want a simple metronome for Sonar, and you have an extra $14, you might want to look into Ping. It's an audio (rather than midi) metronome that will work with Sonar. Therefore it will work with any sound card.

http://www.rmnorman.com/PingDXi/PingDXi.html

Word is that Cakewalk is building an audio metronome into the next version of Sonar - if you feel like waiting. :)

dachay2tnr said:
No one's ever accused me of being a musical theory genius, but don't you want to set it to every quarter note?? :)
Uuuuuh! Look at the wise guy!

:D

lapieuvre said:
Why not USE PC SPEAKER in the metronome settings? depends on what use you need it for, though.

Thierry
Probably because you can't route the PC speaker to your headphones and if you're using a mic it will be picked up by the mic and end up on the recorded track.

At least those would be my reasons. :)

Uuuuuh! Look at the wise guy!
Hey, I'm just the quality insurance guy here. I make sure all answers that are provided have been checked and verified.

However, I have written up your oversight and placed it in your HR personnel file. If there are no further occurrances, it will be removed after 6 months. :D :D

I'm going to try this when I get home, but could I run the output from my soundcard to my mixer and use that as the 'speaker' click track and put it in the cans?

I'm going to try this when I get home, but could I run the output from my soundcard to my mixer and use that as the 'speaker' click track and put it in the cans?
:confused:

I thought you said your sound card was Delta 1010. There is no midi synth in the Delta.

The PC speaker does not playback through your sound card. It plays through the speaker that is built into your PC case.

If you wish to use the Sonar metronome function, you need a sound card with a midi synth or an external midi sound source.

Or you can use an audio metronome such as Ping.

Or you can use loops as Acidrock told you.

Or you can use PRV and a DXi as TamaSabian and I have told you.

Do you have another sound card in your computer beside the 1010? If so, you can very likley use that.

What kind of DXI/sound module do you have?
Use the session drummer in conjunction with them.
How have you been syncing up until now?

dachay2tnr said:
:confused:

I thought you said your sound card was Delta 1010. There is no midi synth in the Delta.

The PC speaker does not playback through your sound card. It plays through the speaker that is built into your PC case.

If you wish to use the Sonar metronome function, you need a sound card with a midi synth or an external midi sound source.

Or you can use an audio metronome such as Ping.

Or you can use loops as Acidrock told you.

Or you can use PRV and a DXi as TamaSabian and I have told you.

Do you have another sound card in your computer beside the 1010? If so, you can very likley use that.
Actually I'm talking about my onboard soundcard on the mobo. I have crappy speakers plugged into it that play the click when I do the computere click, so I'm going to just try taking the minijack out and convert to 1/4 and put it line in. Maybe it'll work.

ChristopherDawn said:
Actually I'm talking about my onboard soundcard on the mobo. I have crappy speakers plugged into it that play the click when I do the computere click, so I'm going to just try taking the minijack out and convert to 1/4 and put it line in. Maybe it'll work.
Its very likely that the onboard sound card has a midi synth in it. Therefore your plan should work.

Make sure to use stereo cables and adapters if you want sound in both ears. :)

Back