how do I know if my mic is broken?!

rgraves

Damn, I just got this stereo set of shure KSM 141s, only used it for like 3 recordings, and I think one of the mics is broke. When I flip on the phantom power on my EMU, the 1 mic has tons of static and the levels bounce from nothing to clipping constantly with the gain on minimum. The other works fine. I tried different mics and 1 pre versus another to make sure to isolate the problem, but all other mics work fine, including my other ksm 141.

But, there hasn't been any rough handling or anything! I only used it for piano and acoustic guitar. Anyhow, what do you guys do in this case usually? Should I call Shure?

rgraves said:
Damn, I just got this stereo set of shure KSM 141s, only used it for like 3 recordings, and I think one of the mics is broke. When I flip on the phantom power on my EMU, the 1 mic has tons of static and the levels bounce from nothing to clipping constantly with the gain on minimum. The other works fine. I tried different mics and 1 pre versus another to make sure to isolate the problem, but all other mics work fine, including my other ksm 141.

Might just be moisture on the capsule. If you haven't yet, get several dessicant packets, microwave the packets, then stick them in a plastic bag overnight. See if that helps.

dgatwood said:
Might just be moisture on the capsule. If you haven't yet, get several dessicant packets, microwave the packets, then stick them in a plastic bag overnight. See if that helps.

Nice tip, I will try that! :)

Back