How do I know if I can sing?

It's true.
I know I can sing, but the reason I know I'm not delusional is because I'm well aware of my shortcomings and mistakes.
I know what I can't do and where my limits are.

I'll certainly never be a Freddy or even close, but I can sing.
That's the thing. I know what I can't do and I maximise the little I can do.
Just a few hours ago, speaking of Freddy, I saw a documentary on Sky arts 1 called "Becoming Queen". It was actually quite good, not like some cheesy stuff I've seen. It was interesting to get an American perspective on the band.
Initially, I thought it was about how Elizabeth became Queen when George V died ! :D

I'm assuming it's an AIFF file.

Put it into iTunes. Highlight that track. To make sure, go to preferences, and import settings, and click Mp3 encoder or something like that.

Then, with the track highlighted, go to advanced, and make mp3 version.

Lennon's dislike of his voice wasn't centred around whether or not he could sing or hold a tune. He knew absolutely having been a choirboy and singing live rock'n'roll and skiffle from the age of 16 that he could sing. In fact, it's quite interesting that you only hear of Lennon wanting the sound of his voice being altered from about "Revolver" {1966} onwards when there was suddenly a range of things that could be done to the voice to make it sound different. Prior to that, he liked double tracking. During "Pepper", he always had lots of 'echo' in his phones. At one point, he tried singing into a mic covered in a plastic bag suspended in water. During the White album, he experimented with singing lying on the floor. If you put it in the context of the Beatles in general never wanting to repeat themselves, having already done something, while experimenting with any and every little thing, it makes sense.

I just said he hated his voice...never said he couldn't sing

I just said he hated his voice...never said he couldn't sing
I never said you said he couldn't sing. I was giving your point some context.
Having said that, I've read and seen zillions of things over the last 36 years in which Lennon speaks and not once have I come across any place where he said he disliked his voice. I've made the point myself over the years about him 'disliking his voice' then it occurred to me when I saw your post that I'd never seen or heard him or any of the other Beatles make that point. I've heard him say that he would get self conscious once in a while. But hate or even dislike ? No. And then I got to thinking, as technology was encroaching more and more into the lives of recording artists in the mid to late 60s and the Beatles were bored with doing things the same old ways, it made sense that he'd want his voice altered, in the same way he wanted rawer guitar sounds during the White album zsessions as a reaction to the arty sweetness of "Pepper". That doesn't translate to dislike or hate.

I hear the thing about "don't trust your family & friends" a lot. I think the implication is that they're going to tell you that you're good no matter what.

Well....my parents pretty much told me I sucked years ago. Since I apparently can't trust them, does that mean I might actually be good?

I hear the thing about "don't trust your family & friends" a lot. I think the implication is that they're going to tell you that you're good no matter what.
Most of my friends won't tell me they think I'm good if they don't think so. In fact, whenever one of them says, 'I liked that!' it comes as a genuine surprize because it's pretty rare round these parts. One guy was very diplomatic. He said "it's interesting how people use their talents" !
My younger sister's kids liked my music and asked me to send them some stuff. My sister didn't like it at all and didn't wait a decade to tell me so ! I also remember this young lady whom someone told me was kind of sweet on me. I gave her a load of stuff I'd done and she was rather uncomfortable with me thereafter ! I was later told her and her Mum thought the stuff was demonic. Literally !
With my kids, I don't pull my punches. If they do something musical and I don't think it's up to scratch, I'll tell them but I'll explain why and ask them if they can see what I mean. I don't want to die a death if they suck in performance because I haven't been honest with them.
That all said, I think that regardless of whether or not friends or family think something like the singing is good or rubbish, much of the time, their positive responses are more to do with being impressed that one is actually performing than actually liking what it is that's being performed. My Dad was like that. He was impressed that I could put together a multitracked performance and mix it on tape. I'd shown no penchant for anything technical {in fact, we fell out big time over this in my teens} and he was a scientific guy so it just blew him away.

You'll make it harder than it should be analysing the intricacies of how good you are or aren’t. It's a school talent show it doesn't matter - go and have some fun.

Back