How do I know if 2 mics are in phase with each other ?

ustadjohnny

Hi people, thanks a ton for your replies to my "phat jazz guitar sound" querry. Now if I use 2 57s to mic my amp, how do I know that the 2 mics are in phase (or not in phase) with each other ? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions but I really don't know !

Pan each mic to extreme left and right. Then engage the MONO switch if your mixer has one.

If not, try this.

Pan both center, then switch the phase on one of the mics.

If the sound gets really thin when you switch the phase, then switch it back, they are in phase already.

But if when you switch the phase, the sound gets fuller and louder, especially in the low end, then they were not in phase before you switched the phase.

Two out of phase mics will mostly effect the low end. This mono test, or the switching the phase test is as good as anything for determining phase.

Ed

Also if you have two mics on a combo amp, one on the grill and one on the open back, they're most certainly going to be out of phase. This is where a digital editor is so cool. You can expand out a wave form, reverse phase if nessesary and align phase relationships of two or more tracks. Computers rule!

Ustadjohnny,

I'm just wondering what the origin of your name is. I am into Indian music, and Ustad is a term used to refer to a master.

Back