How do i know how loud my audio is

midget

I've got a vocal track. Some words are louder than others by more than I would like. I want to fix it with a compressor. My plan is to set the threshold to the db level when I say the loud words. Where on my screen can I find that number? The green/yellow/red bar (what's that called, anyways) is not helpful to my knowledge. I'm using garageband 08. Thanks and sorry.

Start with volume automation -- Compressors change the dynamic range of the signal - not just the volume of the source... Too many start throwing compressors on everything and then wonder why their mixes have no dynamics.

HmmmK, what's a signal? And a source?

I have been using my ears all along and I'm trying to rely more on facts and figures since they are absolute.

Either way the real question here is: what is that green/yellow/red bar called, and when I look at a waveform for example:

S0087_EditorFlexPtr.png

how can i find out the db (is that output?) for the thick parts and the db for the thin parts? Wouldn't that make using a compressor a bit easier? I'm sick of stabbing at the dark with this stuff as you can't guess the right answer every time.

...I'm trying to rely more on facts and figures since they are absolute.

And down the rabbit hole you go....say hi to the Hatter.

There is a lot more to perceived levels than just "numbers". They are NOT absolute, and all depend on the sound source, timbre, attack, decay, pitch...yada, yada, yada...

how can i find out the db (is that output?) for the thick parts and the db for the thin parts?

Does the DAW have meters?

I'm only on my second cup of Jo....late night.

:D

Well....then he shouldn't have any trouble going down the rabbit hole....

As the master has said, you should be able to use volume automation on a single track via whatever means garageband has, to get a more even volume. Don't just reach for a compressor. And you have to use your ears, not numbers on the display - same apparent "volume" visually, will have different real "loudness" depending upon the frequency of what you're listening to.

You should also work on the actual tracking of the vocal (next time) with mic technique to, as far as possible, minimise the problem.

If this doesn't make sense, then ask more questions... and don't mind everyone stirring you up a bit.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies. Yeah I read that thread already. Also yeah I've noticed that very trebley sounds go into the red quickly and sound louder even if the waveform is narrow and that would confuse me. Still does actually. ugh so wtf does it mean when a signal goes into the red on that green yellow and red bar then? Those are metres right? yeah Garage band has them but the only way i know what they are is if i grab the bar and slide it around.

Start with volume automation -- Compressors change the dynamic range of the signal - not just the volume of the source... Too many start throwing compressors on everything and then wonder why their mixes have no dynamics.

Isn't that what they call rock and roll? ;)

When you record something on track one and then you set the level of track 1 to -4 db, does that mean you've subtracted 4 db from the original signal?

Yes...though it's not "destructive"....the original level is still there, you just put the fader back at "0" and it like it was...etc.

Isn't that what they call rock and roll? ;)

NEWSFLASH - "Members of <insert band> last night trashed a hotel room in downtown <insert city> and threw a compressor out the window into the pool, citing poor response to transients."

Nah, doesn't quite work as well.:laughings:

When you record something on track one and then you set the level of track 1 to -4 db, does that mean you've subtracted 4 db from the original signal?

-4 dB on the "red/yellow/green" meter in your DAW when you're RECORDING? Or on the fader in the DAW?

Back