How do I kill my garage?

Rhythmschism

Well, sound-wise anyway. I plan to use my garage for recording this summer, and have a virtually non-existant budget for sound proofing/room treatment, etc. So basically, I just want to deaden the shit out of it. Egg cartons, old blankets, cardboard, whatever I can rummage out of the dump/thrift store. Any bi-products such as minimal sound resistance that would come of this would be a plus, but are in no way the main objective.

I know most of the people on this forum typically deal with the process of using a room and improving it's acoustic characteristics, but does anyone have any ideas/suggestions on how I might best accomplish just totally deadening my garage as inexpensively as possible?

It should also be noted that the house is a rental, so I am not able to do anything permanent. Thanks.

Last edited:
Going about this the wrong way will only set you up for heartache and heartbreak.

You're talking about deadening a room, but there's an entire frequency spectrum to consider.
The most difficult frequencies to attenuate are those frequencies in the lower end; somewhere around 200Hz and below.

Thick blankets, heavy curtians, foam, et al, will only be effective at attenuating frequencies well above that range. Those types of treatments will have little to no effect on the low end frequencies.
So when you speak of "deadening a room", all you're really deadening are the high and mid frequencies.

What you're left with is a room that is EXTREMELY bass heavy.
A room like that is difficult to record in, and nearly impossible to mix in.

It is possible, however, to do effective acoustic treatment on a budget.
I suggest you read up on acoustics and acoustic treatment at the SAE site.
Take some time to educate yourself in these matters, you'll be glad you did! ;)

Well, shucks. Thanks for giving me the reality check. I was hoping I could forego actually researching and thinking about it enough to where I could form an educated outline for accomplishing my goal. :D

I was hoping that maybe if I could find an unprecedented amount of blankets, foam, and egg cartons I could conquer acoustic theory by sheer brute force.

But, I do have one question. Would applying these household type of materials in a reasonably acoustically conscious manner be any improvement over the existing acoustic configuration of your typical garage, or would it really just be counter productive by removing only the higher frequency responses?

Rhythmschism said:
Well, shucks. Thanks for giving me the reality check. I was hoping I could forego actually researching and thinking about it enough to where I could form an educated outline for accomplishing my goal. :D
From your initial comments, it sounded to me like you hadn't done much research, that's why I pointed you toward the SAE site.
Maybe I was just mis-reading your intial post.

Rhythmschism said:

I was hoping that maybe if I could find an unprecedented amount of blankets, foam, and egg cartons I could conquer acoustic theory by sheer brute force.
:D
If only it were that simple.

Rhythmschism said:

But, I do have one question. Would applying these household type of materials in a reasonably acoustically conscious manner be any improvement over the existing acoustic configuration of your typical garage, or would it really just be counter productive by removing only the higher frequency responses?
I think it would be counter productive.
John Sayer's has a nice lay-out of a garage based studio on the SAE site. I'd look that over.

Ok, thanks Michael.

Oh and I wasn't being sarcastic about the research comment, I really was ignorant :). Thanks for your advice.

As I'm not able to do any serious modifications to my garage nor am I financially equipped to purchase pre-made acoustic treatments I think I may just have to use the garage as it is. I can do some things DI, and close miking cabinents shouldn't be too problematic. Its really the acoustic drums and guitar thats going to suffer, but I'll see how they sound when I actually get set up.

That's cool, Rhythmschism. :)
Hey, listen, nothing says you have to do it all at once, you know.
You can implement good acoustic solutions over a period of time.

You, know, start off with some DIY bass traps, add some 703 panels... after a few months, you'll end up with a much better environment!

Stay away from the pyramid and blade foam though.

Back