How do I increase final mix quality?

Scoop

Hi,

I mix 'out the box' and I'm worried about the quality of the final wav file.
Listening during the actual multi-tracks playing back seems to sound better than the final .wav file does.

how do I improve that?

My setup is:

Cubase studio 4
---> 16 multi trax out M-Audio Delta 1010 (x2)
---> lined into compressors & eq's (2 x distressors, germanium, ua, etc...)
---> into TOFT ATB16 analogue desk
---> stereo mains out desk back into delta 1010
---> Stereo trax recorded back into Cubase

do I:
1. Get a higher quality a/d converter for the main stereo out from the desk?
2. Get some sort of external recording device to drop the stereo mix down onto?

How is it done in the pro high end studios?

Thanks for your time.
Scoop.

When you say the actual tracks sound better than in the final mix, how are you playing them back, solo'd or mixed? How are you monintoring them when they are sounding better? E.g., are you monitoring the main outs of the console or the interface? If you're monitoring the interface, is it a mix that it makes of your tracks (the outputs - before your external gear) or the return from the console (the inputs)?

Scoop,
After you have recorded the mixdown stereo track bring it up (solo'd) to the same volume level of what you were listening to during mixdown.
If it sounds noticeable less in fidelity it is the converters.(or something like cables causing degradation in the signal path)
If you are listening to the recorded track ALONG with the originals, the slight offset in latency of the 2 tracks will kill the way they sound together.

I ended up buying a 2 channel Lucid to use for my mixdown converters and it plugs right into your Deltas SPDIF.

I got a pair of Adam7's with an Adam sub8 connected directly to the monitor outs on the Toft desk.
When i play the whole track during mixdown I'm listening through this setup.
When i play the mixed-down stereo track (solo'd), it's played through the same desk/monitor setup but doesn't sound as good, so I'm sure it';s the converters or cables...

Never thought of the option of bringing the spdif into it... thanks :)

Back