How do I get this sound???

antispatula

This guy's album, besides being amazing, has a specific sound on the vocals that I really want to be able to reproduce:

Evan Goodberry | The Middle of the World | CD Baby Music Store

To hear what I mean, I recommend listening to 10 seconds of the sample on track 8.

The vocals sound so huge and present and clear and "in your face." I know that recording in a dead room and adding heavy compression is an essential part of getting this sound, but can anyone recommend any mics or preamps under 2,000 bucks each (or a combo of both!) that could help me emulate that sound for vocals? I think years ago I read that he used a UA 610 solo pre, but am not sure. Would that, or a great river be a good choice? How about mics? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Currently I use a dav bg1 and a blueberry, which give nice results, but not exactly what Im looking for.

Thanks!!

I don't think there's heavy compression at all on that vocal.
If anything....for that kind of intimate, up-front vocal....don't use any compression at all, and then get you vocal delivery right so that it has that sensitive, almost whispered sound....and keep it on the dry side, but you don't necessarily need to do it in a dead booth.
When you put that up in the mix...it will sound big and in your face.

Back