how do I get this muddy, mysterious 1960s sound?

cutout

I'm new to home recording. I'm about to put down a few new songs of my own, mainly just electric guitar and vocals, and I like the production of this band -

Nerve City - Armory - YouTube

Nerve City - Sleepwalker - YouTube

Nerve City - Concentrate - YouTube

It's probably very few people's cup of tea here, but it's appropriate for what they're going for here, production-wise and sensibility-wise, according to their interviews anyway.

Is it just a matter of reverb and EQ'ing? Any other subtleties you hear that are easy to replicate? Pedals, amp settings, other techniques?

Record in a decent-size garage with no sound treatment, everything live, no overtracking. Find the cheapest microphone you can get that still works and plug it into a solid state guitar amp.
There really isn't 'muddiness' involved, mud is typically defined as low-midrange stuff. This is trebly and heavy on the reverb.

Old "British" sound

Spot on about the reverb to create the old British sounds. Also a well run in Vox valve guitar amp with its own spring reverb. If you record in a lively space such as a large bathroom that helps. Dead space will never get that sound. I am sad I sold my old AKG spring reverb now as that created that sound perfectly, and people loved it. The new Cubase has a good convoluted plate reverb plug in that comes close. I am sure there are some spring reverb emulations out there as well. Also a Jo Meek compressor may assist, that's what "The Searchers" group was recorded with, the original old one that is.

Thanks guys. Gonna check out some different reverb plugins. I've got a 1970s Fender Twin, but it's not exactly the same kind of reverb sound.

Also, muddy is probably not the right word. But there's a murkiness to these songs that I like, which I probably would not like in most other music.

Thanks guys. Gonna check out some different reverb plugins. I've got a 1970s Fender Twin, but it's not exactly the same kind of reverb sound.

Also, muddy is probably not the right word. But there's a murkiness to these songs that I like, which I probably would not like in most other music.

Big part of that is the EQ curve. The lows AND highs are rolled right off, either artifically or the recording medium, the mids are boosted. You may want to just look up the eq curve for an old 78 and start there. If you are looking for plugs you want a plate or spring emulation.

its definately reverb on everything, maybe double reverb on the instruments and more reverb on the entire mix?

it has a 60's radio sound, reminds me of my early record player sounds... i actually like this music the sleepwalker was great. i wonder what it was recorded on? a reel to reel in a garage? 2 mics..no overdubs?

pretty good for a live take, imo.

Back