How do I get rid of this rustling noise in my VO vocals?

After normalizing, adding compression, deesser, and noise reduction I'm left with a small rustling noise, heard here under the words "welcome back" and "like the ultra heavy" and "military".

Is this a mic technique issue? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not hearing rustling noises as such. However, I can hear a vague buzzy sound that seems to be an artifact of noise reduction.

I didn't hear anything resembling a rustling sound. If there is something, Gecko probably has the right idea... some type of artifact from either the compression, deessing or noise reduction. You might try disabling each one individually to see if one stands out, but if it's there, its very subtle.

Your vocal on this one sounds a lot more compressed that some of your other samples. Maybe back off a notch or two? You don't want to take all of the life out of it.

This sounds like a computer generated voice - the inflections are wrong, and the end off phrase drops are identical. It's mega loud, heavily compressed and I could not survive listening for very long. There is a strange metallic artefact present pretty much throughout? You've squashed it mercilessly. I think you've just gone too far with the processing I'm afraid.

It also has (and this is totally irrelevant to non UK listeners) the use of the word 'crafts' - US usage means you say landing craft (singular) and landing crafts (plural) - like hover craft - which makes us Brits cringe. We say a landing craft discharged 6 men, or a number of landing craft discharged 6 men each. Craft being one of those words in English that is not exclusively singular or plural without qualification.

This sounds like a computer generated voice - the inflections are wrong, and the end off phrase drops are identical. It's mega loud, heavily compressed and I could not survive listening for very long. There is a strange metallic artefact present pretty much throughout? You've squashed it mercilessly. I think you've just gone too far with the processing I'm afraid.

It also has (and this is totally irrelevant to non UK listeners) the use of the word 'crafts' - US usage means you say landing craft (singular) and landing crafts (plural) - like hover craft - which makes us Brits cringe. We say a landing craft discharged 6 men, or a number of landing craft discharged 6 men each. Craft being one of those words in English that is not exclusively singular or plural without qualification.
Thanks for your feedback, I'll tinker with the compression. As far as inflection, they wanted me to replicate a specific cadence they use on their youtube channel that sounds really unnatural (at least for me anyways). As far as crafts, I didn't write the script ;) the channel seems to be based out of Russia.

Edit: Ok, turning down the compression helped a bit though its still present in the first few words. What do you guys think now? any other thoughts (on the editing lol)?

Last edited:
The Dialog is too weird to get a natural cadence to the track.

Such is the life of a freelance voice over artist lol

The other day I got paid to do an audiobook for a rich middle schooler from UAE. It was atrocious and the english was almost unmanageable. At one point, I'm pretty sure the line I was supposed to read was "you're blunt!" but they had written "You're blurt!"

Writing and editing isn't my job, you write some dumb bullshit and I'm going to read it as written lol

I think it does sound better and reminiscent of the YouTube American style in your face stuff - the cadence thing though does make it sound like a computerised voice - now a realer sounding one, but the only thing now stopping me liking it is just the very odd drops at the end off phrases and the pace - it's busy and in your face and of course there are only a few things anyone can do with a poor script. The craft thing is still making me cringe (he he)

I think it does sound better and reminiscent of the YouTube American style in your face stuff - the cadence thing though does make it sound like a computerised voice - now a realer sounding one, but the only thing now stopping me liking it is just the very odd drops at the end off phrases and the pace - it's busy and in your face and of course there are only a few things anyone can do with a poor script. The craft thing is still making me cringe (he he)
I scrapped my entire editing process and put something new together... what do you guys think of this (in terms of editing)?

Mildly NSFW:

Editing sounds fine but as others have stated, you really need to work on your inflection. It’s just the same every single sentence. That’s why it sounds like a computerized voice. You have a great voice, and it’s really the only thing you need to work on.

Editing sounds fine but as others have stated, you really need to work on your inflection. It’s just the same every single sentence. That’s why it sounds like a computerized voice. You have a great voice, and it’s really the only thing you need to work on.
Thanks for the feedback and for the kind words. I get what you’re saying and it is something I’m working on, though to be fair you’re getting a particularly bland showing in this thread since there isn’t a whole lot of excitement to be had during closing credits lol

here is my commercial demo just to show I’m not a total robot. I am trying to find a good coach who can help me with my inflection issues.

Last edited:
If you're looking into coaching, consider adding promos to your curriculum. Your current delivery lends itself to promo work, and they're quite lucrative and generally self directed once you've landed the gig.

That promo is so much better - the 4:58 post goes" Lacey Wren" "Based on the story" "Sex employee" "by rod embellee" these short phrases, all with identical inflection and the dreaded end fall - you don't do this one the promo. I think it's this that makes it sound fake?

If you're looking into coaching, consider adding promos to your curriculum. Your current delivery lends itself to promo work, and they're quite lucrative and generally self directed once you've landed the gig.
Thanks for the tip...excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between promos and commercials?

Thanks for the tip...excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between promos and commercials?
Promos are basically commercials specifically for networks and cable channels and their shows. Stuff like "Tonight at 8 on NBC", "On this week's 30 for 30....", "Now on Fox", "Don't miss what happens on the next exciting episode of The View", etc. It's a sort of a subset of commercials and of voiceover, and the typical delivery style is similar to what I hear in the stuff that you've posted here. Listen for them specifically the next time that you're watching broadcast or cable and you'll hear them. They're a niche in VO that people don't always think about, but would be worth asking a reputable coach about since your natural delivery already leans that way.

Back