how do i get a big booming bass hit?

tylerxxx

i'm sure there have been several threads about this, but i couldn't find any.

so, how do i do it? i'm using reason 3 if it matters.

If all you want is a big booming bass hit with nothing else going on, EQ it so that it sounds like you want it to. The best EQ in Reason 3 is the dedicated 31-band.

If it's part of a song then that's tougher. You can separate the kick from the rest of the kit by hitting the tab key, then plugging out of drum #1's output. A balance of the EQ mentioned above first, a compressor second and an RV7000 for some ambience or a big-ass room sound depending on the tempo of the song should give you the 'booming bass hit' you're after.

Did I mention it's best to start with an 808 kick drum or low sine wav sample?

thanks a lot man. i'm at a friends right now, i'll try it out when i get home and let you know how it goes.

3 OTHER OPTIONS
1. sample the bass you like right out of the song you heard it in
2. go to beat buys site and downlad the bass patch he made
3. use a couple of bassdrums and a 808 bass layered in the nnxt

Layer a regular kick with a 808 kick sample or a 40-80Hz sine wave (or all three). EQ the regular kick for attack (boost around 400-800hz you're looking for the snap). Compress the 808 or sine wave. Mix the two together and you'll be booming bass kick heaven.

All the elements to do this should be right in Reason.

I usually layer the Filter Wheeler patch in Subtractor on the Factory Sound Bank with an 808 and maybe add in a 909 for a little more depth (just don't make it too muddy).

Nothing is better than a hardware compressor to boom your bass!!!

it will sound natural,and smooth.

Garik said:
Nothing is better than a hardware compressor to boom your bass!!!

it will sound natural,and smooth.

how would i go about setting this up? i dont have a hardware compressor yet but i will someday, and i'd like to go ahead and learn how to set it up

tylerxxx said:
how would i go about setting this up? i dont have a hardware compressor yet but i will someday, and i'd like to go ahead and learn how to set it up

Just route your audio from the computer to the hardware compressor,then after the compressor back into the PC.Basicaly a loop. But monitor the sound from the hardware compressor and not from the PC itself.After u get that nice tight sound ,you record it in to the pc(watch the meters..not too hot),and hook the monitors back to the soundcard to hear it in the mix :)

Back