How do I edit CD Audio files?

Rudy2

Howdy all,

I have downloaded some shareware for audio editing and have had no luck bringing in any audio files for editing. What I have so far is: GoldWave, n-Track Studio, AudioGrabber, and Nero for CD burning.

We made a demo of our group using a portable Mini-Disc recorder and my friend burned that data onto a CD saving it as an Audio file. The CD plays fine. I was hoping I could import that song somehow and do a little editing to get a feel of how that works.

Can someone please steer me as to how to get started doing this? Many thanks.

Rudy2

What do you mean by editing?

Once it's on a CD, it's only a 2-channel (left and right) stereo file, so you cant edit any of the separate instruments in it... I hope you mean edit as it make minor overall tweaks. If you are looking to re-mix the song, it's too late.

You want to be doing any editing to the original file BEFORE it hits the CD, not after.

Well, the original was recorded with a stereo mic using a MD recorder so there are only two channels to tweak anyway. I expect putting such a basic tune on a CD hasn't limited the options for editing......right?? And yes, I just want to experiment with frequency, compression, and reverb limited to just the two channels that were recorded. I have tried to open or import the CD file with no luck. It is just a .wav file isn't it? When I do a check on "properties" is says "audio file" with no file extension given. None of my software will open or import it though it plays fine using RealPlayer. I am sure I must be doing (or not doing) something very basic incorrectly.

Rudy2

Woo hoo, that did it!

Thanks Crankz1. My CD file is now a .WAV and loads up fine. Now I would like to know how to alter emphasis on a given frequency using GoldWave. I tried compressor and other functions with amusing results. I would like to be able to increase the amplitude of certain frequencies and reduce others. Oh what fun!

Rudy2

Fire up the FASoft 20 band parametric EQ in n-Track or any other decent EQ plugin that you may have.
I don't use Goldwave, I use Sound Forge 7 for my editing, so I can't really help there.
Essentially you are looking at EQ'ing for boosting or cutting frequencies. Although you may be able to get some use out of some multiband compression also.

"Fire up the FASoft 20 band parametric EQ in n-Track"

Well crankz1 I tried. I downloaded the FASoft EQ but can't seem to get it to run. It is not a stand-alone software so there is no program icon to click on and I can't figure out how n-Track loads that utility. Guess I need some clues... I did get GoldWave EQ to work though. That was pretty easy but the software does not seem as fully featured as n-Track. Steep learning curve here....

Rudy2

Well the Demo version of the FASoft EQ wouldn't be of much use, as it has limited functionality.
However, if you are a registered user of n-Track 4, it is included.
To use it or any other insert type of effect, you would need to import your wave file into n-Track as a track. Then on the mixer strip for that track, you would click the effects insert window. This will bring up a list of effects that you can insert on that track.
Though for just adding EQ to a track, you can double click the three little EQ knobs on the tracks mixer strip. This will bring up the EQ window. It's not a parametric EQ with adjustable Q like the other one, but you can add up to 20 bands to it.
Spend some time with the n-Track Manual and ask around over at the FASoft Forum for any specific help.

-Ken

"Spend some time with the n-Track Manual and ask around over at the FASoft Forum for any specific help.

-Ken"

Thanks bud!

Rudy2

Back