How do I control 2 keyboards from a PC sequencer?

Gunther

Ok, I have a Korg N1 and a Roland jv1010 and am running cakewalk professional 7.02 (outdated, I know).

What I would like to do is be able to use them both at the same time so that say channels 1 – 10 go to the Roland and channels 11 – 16 go to the Korg. Right now all I get is both keyboards trying to play all channels, which is no good at all.

Thx in advance for any help.

You should be able to set the perimeters on the keyboard to accept specific chls and likewise on the jv. I simple midi thru on the keyboard jumpered over to the jv.
Ive done this with my keyboard and D4 drum module.

Yeah, just figured that out browsing through the manual. On the 'N1' I can set the 'ports' for each channel. A or B = make the sound internally and C = pass it on the the midi out, which would trigger the 1010.

It would be better for me to do this channel filtering from the 1010 though since the N1 is also the controler I would like its output to go directly to the PC.

But thanks man. Fast response too :)

- Gunth

Still problems.

Right now the midi out of the PC goes to the midi in of Korg N1. The N1 is set to play channels 11 - 16 and sends channels 1 – 10 to its midi out. The JV1010 plays channels 1 – 10. The midi through on the JV1010 sends the performance info from the N1 to the PC.

The problem is that there is a midi feedback loop in this if I turn midi echo on in cakewalk. After thinking about it I realized what is going on. Cakewalk sends a note on to the Korg. The Korg passes that to the Roland, and also to the PC via the midi thru on the Roland. Cakewalk gets it and echoes it to the N1 via the midi out... and that goes to the roland and the PC starting the cycle over again. Nasty.

So I have to turn the midi echo off in cakewalk. Unfortunately without the echo when I press a key on the N1 it just plays some sound on the Roland instead of playing the sound on the selected track in cakewalk. Not good.

If the Roland could do the channel filtering like the Korg could, I would be all set… Cakewalk would send a note on to the Roland, the Roland would either play it or pass it to the Korg depending on the channel. If it got to the Korg it would be played, but nothing would never be sent to the midi out of the Korg so no feedback. The midi out of the Korg would go to the midi in of the PC, so when I press a key on the N1 Cakewalk would choose the channel the key press info would go to.

Unfortunately I can’t seem to get the JV1010 to do this. I don’t even know if it has this ability.

Is there a device that would have say one midi in and 2 midi outs, and send some channels to one out and other channels to the second out? This would fix my problem.

Gunther said:
Is there a device that would have say one midi in and 2 midi outs, and send some channels to one out and other channels to the second out? This would fix my problem.

What's your curent MIDI interface, Gunther ? FYI, go to nearest KORG dealer, and buy special cable AG-001 (+ installation disk). Not sure how much, but I know it's cheap!!! It allows your N1 to be connected to PC serial port, so it turns your PC serial port into 2 extra MIDI out port and one MIDI in port. You may see the PC connector.
Port 1 must be your N1, and the second port is achieve from N1's MIDI out. They're independent !!! In Cakewalk, they will bw shown as separate MIDI out port. I use it. It can also be used with X5, X5D, O5R/W, and X5D/R.... Go get some, cause I believe it's all you need, and it's CHEAP!!! ;)

Thanks for the info James. Sounds like that will do the trick for me.

I have been working more with the N1 over the past week than I have in the years I owned it but its starting to show its age. I may just use it as a controler and get the Motif rack module, if I can convince the wife.

Back