how do i clean up vinyl recordings with n-track

homerecording

could someone tell me how i can clean up the crackling and popping sounds on vinyl by using n-track.is there a good plug-in that i can use that would do the trick.i also have cool-edit 2000 but that doesn't seem to work too well.i also want to get rid of the tape hiss from tapes as well.i suppose you could say i'd like the vinyl and tape recordings
to sound as clear as a cd recording but as this is probably
impossible as close as possible would be good.thanks to anyone who can help.

manual editing tips

Crackling and popping are spikes that are easily visible when the wave is zoomed in on.In the case where these anolomies occur where there is no other program material happening,simply select that region by click>drag and silence it.If the pop or click occurs over other material ,use the cooledit frequency analysis feature to zero in on the exact frequencys of the glitch and EQ with parametric EQ that region down by the amount of the height of the peaks.For general backgroung noise reduction,analyze the room noise before the first note rings out and note the half-dozen or so room resonances.As above,use parametric eq to return the profile to relatively flat.All the noise reduction software I have heard sounds terrible,doing damage to program material that shares frequencies with your noise.This way is tedious and manual clicking etc, but the results are superior.
regards
Tom

Back