How do I buy a bass?

PeteAnon

Hey all,

I'm going to bite the bullet very shortly, and get myself a relatively cheap bass for recording purposes. I want to spend between $200-300.

I've got 2 questions:

1 - What should I look for in a bass? I'm a guitarist, I've got a musical background, but I don't really know what to look at closely when it comes to basses. I'm guessing-- general sound quality, lack of fret buzz, the way it's set up, manufacturing quality, neck attached solidly to body, etc.-- guitar stuff?

2 - What brands/models do you recommend? I've heard Ibanez GSR200 is a good one. What else should I check out?

Pete

You could definitely do worse than to check out the big liquidation of DeArmond guitars and basses going on everywhere.

The Pilot series are very nice basses (the DeArmond guitars are superb) and are going for about 70%+ off list...$140 - $300, but going FAST. When these are gone, there will be no more.

High quality, dirt cheap! Hit www.SamAsh.com then go to basses and click on "Great Deals" and scroll through.

This is about the cheapest way I know to get a good bass right now.

Damn dude, thanks for the heads-up!

I just bought a Pilot Pro 4 string for $199....I can't believe shipping is free. Usually I wouldn't buy a guitar sight-unseen, but I'm a guitar player before I'm a bass player, and this thing has GOT to be better than the junky peavey I've got right now. Decent wood, active electronics...I almost went for the $139 Pilot but I'll pay an extra 60 bucks for better wood.

I guess we'll see how happy I am when it gets here.

Slackmaster 2000

Very cool... I'm going to Sam Ash tomorrow. On my list are the DeArmond, a Fender Mexi, and an Ibanez GSR200.

Still don't have any advice as to what to look for though, so I'll use my common sense and the supreme wisdom of the sam ash salesman who has no reason not to lie to me.... ;)

Pete

Hurry up, the DeArmonds are evaporating at an amazing pace. People are getting wise to them and buying multiples.

The frenzy is such that Ash is RAISING their prices on some remaining ones, just because they know they are going to sell out no matter what and they might as well make a few extra bucks.

I've bought (or ordered) five models of DeArmond top-of-the-line stuff, but what I really need is one of the extinct JetStars, the ugliest guitars ever from 1999. 8-)

Really, these DeArmonds are great values.

bongolation-

Do you work for DeArmond, or are you a floor trader for DeArmond bass futures at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange???

:D :D :D

Pete

PeteAnon said:
bongolation-

Do you work for DeArmond, or are you a floor trader for DeArmond bass futures at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange???

:D :D :D

Pete

Hah! That'd be a rough gig, as DeArmond is _done_. The guitars and basses are no longer produced, nor going to be. Ash bought all the remaining stocks and are just about through all of them already.

It's just that I was extremely impressed with the instruments I bought, and (despite the driveby wisecracks from Alaska) I'm a very picky and knowledgeable customer. I've been dealing in quality guitars and basses off and on for thirty years and the M-77T DeArmond I recently got is among the finest production guitars I've ever played.

The people who've been buying these instruments have been exceptionally well-pleased with them at the prices they're going for.

Of course, your mileage and priorities may vary. Guy was looking for a good deal on a serviceable bass and this is about as hot a deal as I could come up with.

All this assuming FedEx doesn't destroy these instruments in shipping, in which case we'll all be back where we started, as there will be no replacements for these instruments by the time we receive them.

But that's another issue.

Hey Slack, did you actualy buy one or are you just funnin'?

If so, don't drag your ass posting your thoughts. This Ibanez I just got is the BuzzMonster from hell!
I'll grab one of these fire-sale Pilots if you're at all impressed with it.

Hurry UPS man, hurry!

Just go to the music store, put the amount of money you want to spend on the counter and the salesperson will put the right bass in your hands. I've been playing bass for 30 years. Take it home and set the action were it fells good for you and let it rip. Later, Donny!!!

getuhgrip,

Yeah I really bought one....and yeah "HURRY UPS MAN, HURRY!"

I'll let you know how it plays! Hopefully I'll end up with a usable mid-range bass for the price of a less than desirable entry-level. It's worth the risk at these prices.

Slackmaster 2000

35" scale length and active humbuckers?

The Samash site describes these Pilot basses as having an "extended" scale length of 35 inches. How unusual is this and what are the advantages/differences?

I'm looking at the 'Deluxe' since it has active pickups and my bass buddy says these are definitely worth trying to get. Any comment on this?

Also, what about the fact that these have humbucker pickups?

Re: 35" scale length and active humbuckers?

ap said:
The Samash site describes these Pilot basses as having an "extended" scale length of 35 inches. How unusual is this and what are the advantages/differences?
It's a little longer, but it doesn't require trick strings. I measured my vintage Gibson Thunderbird bass and it's a little longer even than that, but regular bass strings are long enough. Just barely!

No way I'd buy anything that required special strings!

People say that longer scales produce "fuller" tones, but people say a lot of things. I know that I do get a "big" sound out of the T-Bird, but to what degree the longer scale is responsible for that, I don't really know.

I'm looking at the 'Deluxe' since it has active pickups and my bass buddy says these are definitely worth trying to get. Any comment on this?
I've never had an active bass before, so I can't say for sure, but generally you can get a much wider range of sounds with active electronics and a good deal more flexibility.

Also, what about the fact that these have humbucker pickups?
Well, presumably you'll have less hum. 8-) I don't know what you're getting at beyond that, exactly.

This is the one I ordered because I thought the oiled raw wood was sort of interesting and currently a pretty upscale look. I think the mahogany version looks a bit better than the ash, but I don't know if sound quality is significantly different between the two. I've seen the 5-string version locally in and it was nicely made and suitably strange-looking. It has a somewhat narrower neck than, say, a P-Bass, pretty much like my T-Bird. This is fine for me as I have sort of messed-up hands with short, crooked fingers.

BTW, these unexpectedly arrived over a week early from the projected backorder date, so SamAsh.Com is shipping now. I suspect they'll go fast, so if you're interested don't snooze and loose.

35"

IN response to the
benefits of extended 35" scale length
the longer scales 35" or even 36" length primarily is a benifit for your 5 string basses with a low "B" string. From all the reviews I have read as a regular subscriber to Bass Player there is a definite increase in the tightness and projection of the fundamental of the low B string by going up to a 35" from a 34" scale.

I have not read of any specific benefits for your standard four string EADG tuning with the increase scale although it would go to reason that if you use some of the lower dropped tunings that seem popular today that the increased scale would help with those also.

If you want to see an interesting concept that has recieved excellent reviews check out Dingwall Basses some of wich use a "fanned fret" system wich on the same bass goes from a 36" scale for the low B string to a 34"scale on the highest string.

Damn....went to the Sam site and couldn't help myself......my old single pickup gretsch bass looks great but doesn't really sound very good....I'm not much of a bass player, but I bought the Pilot Plus......I mean, sheesh, $139 bucks for a brand new, kinda cool looking bass that will only be used for recording at home?....why, yes, I think I'll have one.....

Did I stop there?....nope.......looked at the guitars too........I didn't like the harp tail on the one with the american humbuckers, so I got the super el cheapo (M-66) with the DeArmond hummers.....for $129 I figured the gamble with UPS is worth it......

got the bass in "wine red" (probably arrive orange or something...)

got the guitar in "turquoise" (probably arrive baby blue)

did I need the guitar?...no...but it's kinda sweet to have one already set up with alternative tuning sometimes......plus it's a new toy...

tomorrow I'm checking out a strat a guy has for sale down the road...........

I need help........I already have three guitars......and I'm only a pissant rhythm guitarist.....

anyhow, thanks bongolation, for the tip...........

who sez the rebate won't come in handy?....and yeah, come on UPS man!.........gibs:D

gibs...
I have 4 guitars and 2 basses, but all of them have totally different sounds and uses.
It's great to have many options at your disposal.
Enjoy! ;)

Buck

Why badmouth Ibanez?

There is nothing wrong with an Ibanez GSR200. They are built to a price and work well for that price bracket, you wouldn't buy a Ford hatchback to go 4WDing in now would you....then again by the look of some of these ignorant responses you might! Sorry to offend anyone by my comments but a cheap bass is just a cheap bass. However, if it's set up to spec as all Ibanez guitars should be you shouldn't have too many problems ( yes, I am an Ibanez guitar tech ). I've never even tried a DeArmond and they're probably great but if they're a model that's going out of production then what's it gonna be like trying to get spare parts in a few years? I've worked with Ibanez, Yamaha, Peavey and Ashton guitars and I've found Ibanez to be a consistantly good brand and wouldn't hesitate buying someone a lowend Sound Gear as their first bass! The other brands are good too but I have a "thing" for vintage Ibanez.

Back