How Do I Build The Floor!

MikeDMusic

I am building a studio in my garage which has a concrete floor. I have not been able to find any information about what kind of floor to build on top of the concrete. Does it even matter? There is nothing below the garage except dirt. Will the design of the floor need to be different in the sound booth than the floor in the control room? What's the deal with building the floor? Also what would be a good way to sound proof the ceiling so that it is isolated from the rest of the house? Build it just like a double wall? Some help please.

What I did was float a subfloor. 2x4 framing, topped off with sill-seal, and subfloor wood (MDF? not plywood, can't remember the real name, 3/4" thick). I then laid down a moisture barrier and installed hardwood flooring.

I asked the guy that built my studio and he said carpet would be just fine. However I have a double wall. If I didn't, then it was recomended that the concrete floor be cut in half (where your wall would be) with a concrete blade, and then fill in with caulking. If I had the money then I would use wooden floor but that is only because it looks better. However, I'm sure there's a reason why professional studio's use wooden flooring and not carpet.

Back