How do I alter the volume of separate tracks?

overseas

Ridiculously easy midi question (except for me, apparently):

I originally posted this in the "Newbie" section, but since no one responded I'll just re-post it here. How do I add volume changes to individual sequencer tracks? For example, if I want to gradually increase the volume on a string track, or fade out another track without affecting the other tracks, what must I do? Is this something that has to be done via program change? The manual isn't all that clear about how this is accomplished. Someone please enlighten me! I'm not feeling all that bright right at the moment!

By the way, the critter in question is a Technics KN5000 keyboard w/16 track sequencer. I also have a Roland MC 50MKII. My guess is that the procedure would be the same or very similar for both units.

Thanks in advance!

Bruce

Bruce,

You don't say what kind of sequencer you are using which might or might not make a difference. I use Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.3.
It has a feature called console that some people hate. I did too at first. It looks like a mixer on screen and you can bring elements
up or down as the song goes along. But with drums, since they
are all on channel ten(midi drums, not audio), when I brought one drum down, it brought them all down.

So now I finess my drums before going to mixdown. For the
snare, I go into the piano roll window and draw new volumns
in. Or Cakewalk has a feature called scale velocity. So I may
select the snare in the chorus and type in a new number and
see if it works.

Of course, I can also just increase the numbers in the volumn box to make things louder. In audio, I use both velocity and volumn.

That's a start.

PaulB

Thanks, but I'm not using a computer for midi

Hey guys - I really do appreciate the advice. Thanks!!!

I'm NOT using computer-based sequencing. As I mentioned in my initial post, I'm trying to negotiate the 16-track sequencer that's built into my keyboard (a Tecnics KN5000). It's really well laid-out. My problem in undoubtedly a case of "the-most-dangerous-part-is-the-nut-that-holds-the-steering-wheel" sort of thing.

I also have a hardware sequencer (Roland MC-50MKII). I noticed that when I tried to decrease the volume on one of my tracks, it also affected the drum track. Rather than fiddle with it more, I just gave up for the time being. Of course I want to be able to master the thing, as I'm in Korea and don't have access to a computer that I can dedicate to software sequencing, etc.

I'll go thru the tutorial and check to see if I can find my answer there. I'm thinking I have to do something with Program Change (track 5 in my Technics sequencer).

I'm sure I'll be back for more advice. Thanks again!

Bruce

Back