How did do I hook up my RNC to my Digital recorder?

videodrone

I just got a RNC, Im trying to hook it up to my 1680 recorder so I can do light compression during recording and than do the major compression jobs after the tracking, how do I hook this up to my 1680 so I can do this?

Usually you would hook it up to the inserts. Most digital mixers/recorders don't have true analog inserts so you may not get much benefit using it while tracking if you are looking to stop any peaks. Most digital boxes put the insert after the convertors.

What are you using for a preamp? If you have an outboard preamp with inserts, you use 2 TRS to TRS cables as inserts (send and receive). If it doesn't, you use the unbalanced outs with TS to TS cables, and then 2 TS to TS cables to the 1/4" ins on your 1680, which will accept the unbalanced signal via TS plugs just fine, with about a 3 dB loss in gain. If you're using the pres in the 1680, check the manual under "using outboard effects" which will explain how to use 2 of the 1/4" jacks as aux send/receive. At least that's how it works on my 1824, and I'm betting it's about the same on your machine. Frankly, I prefer #1, especially with a DBX386. That way, not only is the signal compressed before it ever hits the board, but also, you gain the benefit of the DBX's superior A-D converter. Hope this helps- Richie

Back