How can pass a wave file from daw to gear?

Tamate

Hello guys, I have got a wave file of a VST synth.
Now I would pass that file from DAW to gear (preamp, compressor, converters etc) and back DAW again.

What should I do?
Do I need a D.I. box too?

Thank you in advance

I'd help to know the specifics of your set up, but basically it's assigning your audio track to one of your analog outs, return your hardware output to a new recording track back in.
Play the source, set all the levels involved, record it.
There's round trip delay. Some DAW's have an external insert routine with the delay compensated.
Otherwise put a click or use a transient or something to slide the new track into alignment.
Take care you don't make a feed back loop along the way too.

Do I need a D.I. box too?
You hardware would seem to be line level devices. Do you have line in and out on your converters?

I'd help to know the specifics
Thank you mixsit.
I give you an example of gear I want to get.
E.g.
channelstrip (Api 512c, Eq, Compressor) + JDI radial + soundcard (adda) with line in and out and PT sequencer.

I send the track out of PT and then:
-Send the track from audiocard line out to channelstrip line input and then to line in audiocard.
or
-Send the track to JDIbox then to channelstrip MIC input and then into audiocard line input.

Which path should I go for?

Thanks for helping

Just stay with line level connections unless there's some good reason not to. You're going to need an interface with more than two outputs if you want to do this and still use your monitors.

I don't know about the specifics of any of your gear. Basically, you'll need to:
1) assign the track in your DAW to one of the interfaces outputs.
2) That output needs to go to the input of the hardware (API etc).
3) The output of the hardware then needs to go to an input on your interface and record to a new track.

DAW track --> output --> hardware input : hardware output --> interface input.

or if you wanna use more than one hardware...

DAW track --> interface output --> hardware input : hardware output --> to other hardware input --> other hardware output --> interface input.
make sense?

Also you'll need to pay attention to gain staging (volumes) so nothing is clipping, but the analog side is getting as much volume as it needs. Most DAWS -18 is the hardware 0 (in very general basic terms). So I usually make sure my track is around -18 and not peaking much above it. That way you won't clip your hardware. When the signal is coming back in from the hardware, I make sure it's not clipping if there is a meter on the hardware, if not I try to keep the DAW as close to -18 as possible.

ok, that's a lot, and I hope it wasn't too confusing. Basically make sure outputs go to inputs and your volume isn't too high. Got it?

Back